Warwick is the second-largest city in the state of Rhode Island, and it has a lot to offer. From the various beaches, coastlines, and parks, to the delicious food choices and farms, you will not be disappointed if you make a quick trip here!Check out some of our favorite activities and places to visit in Warwick, Rhode Island below! ⬇️
Many fellow Rhode Islanders know the taste and smell of beloved Iggy’s Doughboys and Chowder House. The Warwick location located in Oakland Beach has been around since 1989. It began by serving their famous red chowder and doughboys and has expanded its menu and locations in this state. The second location is in Narragansett, Rhode Island. The interior has been renovated and expanded a few times over the years. Now, it is a family and a local favorite. During the summer months, families from all over the state can be found hanging around Iggy’s. Whether you're craving some famous chowder, clam cakes, or doughboys, this dining spot will never disappoint.
What once was a staple in Rhode Island has turned into one of the most beautiful coastal trails you could walk or bike in Rhode Island. Rocky Point used to be an amusement and theme park in Warwick, RI. It has actually been an attraction since the 1800s. By the 1900’s it had continued progressing into a fan-favorite amusement park. It hosted dozens of rides and a massive food hall that had families continuously returning. The park was closed in 1994 and it wasn’t until 2011 that the abandoned park was reopened to the public with a path that hugged the shore. You can still find some relics and artifacts around the property. During the summer there are various festivities that still take place such as food trucks and movie nights. Today, it is a clean and developed state park that many families flock to on beautiful days. You can find people on bikes, children playing in the various large and open fields, dogs roaming with their owners and plenty of other people enjoying the fresh sea breeze. This Warwick location has truly transformed into one of the best places to spend a warm day
3. Launch Trampoline Park
Launch is a huge facility that hosts a multitude of activities all under one roof. It’s known for being an indoor trampoline park and it truly does not disappoint. This is one of those places that you can go to at any age and still enjoy yourself. There is always something going on in this facility. Whether you want to jump around, play some dodgeball, play basketball, go rock climbing, play laser tag or enjoy the arcade, you will surely leave satisfied and tired! They entertain groups and birthday parties as well! The convenient location right off of Bald Hill Road (Route 2) makes for easy access no matter where you are traveling from!
4. Morris Farm and Rocky Point Blueberry Farm
Farms are slowly becoming harder and harder to come by around many states. Thankfully, we still have a great abundance here in Rhode Island. Although they may not be scaled as large as other farms across New England, they are still treasured by locals all around. Morris Farm is a family-owned farm in Warwick, Rhode Island. It is very close to Bishop Hendricken High School and located right off of Warwick Avenue. You can find everything on this farm as the seasons change. Fall brings hayrides, corn mazes, pumpkins, and corn. The warmer months bring for various fruits and vegetables, eggs, flowers and plants, and much more. If you’re looking for quality grown local farm food, this is the place to stop by! Nearby Morris farm is the Rocky Point blueberry farm. It is a “pick your own” type of farm and during the months of July and August, you can pick some of the sweetest, freshest blueberries around. The prices are amazing and the owners are extremely sweet and helpful. If you’re looking for some hand-picked food, we suggest these two farms in Warwick!
West Shore Coffee Barwww.optxrhodeisland.com/warwick-ri.html is located right off of West Shore Road. So if you find yourself making your way out of Warwick, this should be your last stop! This spot is new and the abundance that they have to offer does not go unnoticed. They have everything from coffees, lattes, espressos, shakes, smoothies, Acai bowls, sandwiches to even beer and wine! They are well involved with the community and this coffee shop is the first of its kind in this area. The reviews, photos, and word of mouth truly speak for itself when it comes to this place. Oh, did we forget to mention - they love dogs too!
Whether you are planning a day trip or a small outing in Warwick, we always suggest that you protect your eyes and the eyes of your family members! Don’t forget that rays that bounce off of the water or snow are much more damaging to our eyes and faces than we realize. Protect yourself and the ones you love with some sunglasses. We offer Plano sunglasses as well as polarized lenses in many of our frames.
We care about the health of you and your family! OPTX Rhode Island is located only 10-15 minutes from Warwick, Rhode Island. Stop by and let us style you in a new pair of glasses! Located conveniently at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston RI. You can reach us at (401)521-6789 and check out our website at www.optxrhodeisland.com.
Providence, Rhode Island is most certainly known for the amazing cuisine available to you around practically every block. Of course, Providence is also well known for its historic architecture, internationally recognized schools and great shopping too. Food tends to be more exciting and it’s no question why in this wonderful city. From fine dining restaurants to some classic fan favorites and to plenty of quick eateries in the area. If you’re looking for a quick stop during lunch or a spot to quickly grab a midday snack, we’ve got you covered. Check out some of our favorites below!
Baja’s - Baja’s Restaurants are a real favorite within our small state. With their fresh-made Mexican dishes with food sources locally, this spot became a hit quite quickly. The food is always fresh and has all your Mexican inspired cravings covered. It’s also conveniently located on Thayer Street, but there are three other locations around the state. We didn’t regret stopping by Baja’s and we’re sure you won’t regret it either!
East Side Pockets - This unique spot offers amazing middle eastern cuisine with a fun counter-serve environment. They have short wait times so it’s great when your time is on a budget. This joint is also located on Thayer Street. Many have boasted of the cleanliness and the fresh ingredients. Grab a kebab wrap or some falafel and enjoy it!
Marquee Cafe - Nearby the Providence Performing Arts Center right off of Weybosset Street you can find this beloved cafe. It’s a local favorite for coffee, tea, chai, pastries, sandwiches, and many other yummy treats. This will quickly become your favorite too! Locals boast about the great fresh food and outstanding prices. They are well known for their breakfast and lunch options. Grab a quick egg sandwich and start your day off right.
Kleos - Kleos Restaurant focuses on traditional Greek cuisine while hosting the perfect environment to dine-in. Although it may not be as quick to get your food as some of the options listed above, it’s the perfect greek joint to pop into and grab a three-course lunch if you’ve got the time. It’s truly impeccable food and seasoning makes this a highly-rated restaurant right in downtown Providence off of Westminster Street.
Food Trucks Near Thayer Street - A super fun way to pick up a quick bite is through stopping by a local food truck! There are usually more than one located around Thayer Street during the busiest times of the day. Lotus Pepper is a highly anticipated one and there the most often. This food truck is truly on top of their A-Game when it comes to their fresh selections while also being gluten and vegan-friendly! Their Vietnamese cuisine is one of the best around! Although Lotus Pepper takes most of the spotlight, you can find a variety of food trucks along East Providence to suffice your cravings.
Vegan Options - By CHLOE is a fun counter-serving style eatery filled with endless vegan options. The cheerful environment is perfect o dine in if you’d like but you can absolutely grab a quick eat at this spot. Everything from sandwiches, salads to many sweet options, this vegan spot is absolutely delicious. Check out for yourself why this place has so many high-star reviews! A new spot that also has recently opened its doors in downtown Providence is Plant City. The multi-level food hall is the perfect option if you want to pick up ingredients and fresh food to bring home, or choose to dine in one of their 4 restaurants inside. Options are endless here and Providence takes number one when it comes to its vegan-friendly dining options.
If you’re in need of some new prescription eyewear or sunglasses for your next outing, come see Team OPTX at OPTX rhode island! We are a full service eye-care center with an eyewear gallery sure to please. Our staff is ready and committed to helping you find that perfect frame! Dozens of designers on hand and plenty of package deals to suit every budget. OPTX is located just minutes from Cranston, Providence, Warwick and more! Call us at (401)521-6789, visit us at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston Rhode Island or check out our web for more information at www.optxrhodeisland.com!
Rhode Island has a large Italian community that dates as far back as over one hundred years. There are many various places around Rhode Island where you can find Italian communities, markets, delis, restaurants, boutiques and more! Some of our favorite Italian places to visit are simply the deli’s and markets found across the state. There is an abundance of this country and culture situated in just about every city here in Rhode Island. Check some of our favorite delis and markets out for yourself!
1. Venda Ravioli is voted one of the best italian gourmet stores and restaurants in Rhode Island and it’s easy to see why when you make a trip there yourself. Not only can you dine in the beautiful restaurant, but Venda has its own catering department and it’s basically an italian grocery store! It’s conveniently located in Little Italy (also known as Federal Hill) in Providence so it is just minutes from the highway and plenty of main access roads. Whether you want to pick up some fresh food, or Venda-made food that you can cook at home yourself, you will always get that beautifully prepared italian taste in all of their dishes. There are plenty of other items up for purchase here and you will find yourself coming back to stock up for more. Experience Venda, you won’t regret it!
2. Sognalo Italian Deli and Cafe is located off of Plainfield Pike in Cranston. This is a local favorite of residents’ for many years as well because of the highly rated fresh food selections. Reviews boast a clean environment and visitors rave about the homemade food. Not only will your food be hot and fresh, but it will truly have that authentic italian taste.
3. Pauly Penta’s Gourmet Italian Deli in North Providence is a true classic and must-see. Pauly Penta’s truly offers it all. Freshly made food, competitive prices, great service, catering and most importantly - high quality. Pauly’s is right off of Mineral Spring Avenue so its location is also convenient. If you have some time, you’ll want to check this place out if you haven’t already. The abundance of food options (hot and cold) and the deli makes this a top competitor in our books!
4. Italian Corner in East Providence may look like a pretty simple or standard spot but it has been around for many years and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon! Whether you’re grabbing from the deli or dining in, this place will leave you coming back for more. Italian Corner prides themselves on their authenticity of various Italian flavors that are true and reflect Italian culture. Check it out for yourself and see why it’s a local Italian favorite!
5. Tony’s Colonial Food Store is also a part of Little Italy here in Rhode Island. Here you can find tasty imported and domestic Italian food products. They also have daily prepared foods and catering options for those who don’t want to wait to get home and enjoy the food! It’s definitely one of the nicest Italian deli’s in the state. Freshly made food, tons of Italian products in-store and friendly staff - we’d say this is on your list of new places to try!
OPTX Rhode Island is just a short driving distance from many of the surrounding cities. Next time you are near Hartford Avenue in Johnston, be sure to make a stop by OPTX and take a look at some of the Italian designer brands we carry, plus many more! Our staff and team is happy to assist you at our full-service eye care center. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at (401)521-6789 or visit our website at www.optxrhodeisland.com.
As the seasons change, so do fashion styles and trends. It is a huge part of the fashion world to see what designers and people find to be in-style at a particular time of the year. This is commonly where new trends emerge, or older ones re-emerge with a fun twist. This Fall of 2019, as the year is shortly coming to an end, we’ve found our favorite new Fall Fashion Trends that we simply can’t get enough of. All of these colors, styles and accessories that have made their hits on runways globally are sure to please!
Itty Bitty Bag Committee → The tiny purses and handbags that have debuted in recent fashion shows may have many of us puzzled. How can you fit all your essentials into one tiny, adorable bag? Well, it’s not really made to house everything your typical day-to-day handbag will. Small purses are more so a statement piece to finish off an outfit and to add some fun to your wardrobe. We’ve seen many that are exquisite shapes and colors. Not only have many in Hollywood already stepped up on this trend, but they honestly play a super fun role in finalizing your look! I mean, all you really need these days is your phone, a credit card and some chapstick, right?!
Capes, Not Drapes → Capes are sooo big right now in the fashion world. Whether they are long, short, tied around the neck, with buttons, or over the head, these capes make a wonderful staple in your closet for fall fashion. Capes (and oven ponchos) have been making steady comebacks after a few years. Each time they do, more twists and turns are incorporated into the designs. It’s perfect for a quick outing in the city, or if you’re looking for that extra warmth and style without a bulky jacket.
To Work, or Not to Work? → Although some may find boiler suits remind them of work, the ones we’ve seen on the runways in recent fashion shows have proved that they are just awesome. You can dress them up with a pair of heels, or down with some cute sneakers or sandals. Common colors of boiler suits include shades of greens, browns, creams and many more. Although a boiler suit may not be suitable for every occasion, that’s not to say there aren’t times where you could totally rock one. These are super convenient to have for a shopping trip, a day out with the gals, or even a casual evening out for drinks.
Meow? Rawr? → Yes! Our beloved feline prints are back in action! Designers all over the world have recently started reincorporating feline prints into their designs. Prints of this nature tend to die down then come back a few years later, and we’re here for it. You’ll find plenty of leopard, tiger and cheetah type prints in many of this years fall fashion. When done in the right way, it can make your outfit one to remember. As always, be sure to stay cruelty free!
Stay Shady → Sunglasses are an essential part of every person’s wardrobe. Whether you purchase sunglasses or eyeglasses to protect your eyes or as a fashion piece, they truly are an extremely important part of your life! This fall, we’re seeing a lot of square sunglass styles being worn on runways and shown all over the web. Square sunglasses, whether male, female, or unisex, are extremely versatile and can add that pop of ‘tude you were looking for to complete your outfit. Besides, who ever said you can’t wear sunglasses indoors? Wear them out in the city, at the park, or even at an event or club at a night out.
Food, Water, and Denim → Now it’s time to get back to our beloved essentials. These include denim’s. In particular, we’ve seen tons of light-wash denim featured for this Fall 2019. Light wash denim jeans and outwear was a hit in many men’s lines. Not to say women didn’t sport their designer denim outfits either. We’ve seen a huge rise in the denim-on-denim trend as well. Men can coordinate some awesome light-wash (distressed too) denim pants with a fun fall jacket for that day/night out. We think a denim top and denim bottom on a male is super cool and trendy for the season. Don’t forget that a light wash will still show off that tan that is slowly fading from the summer months, and in all honesty, we never want those to end!
Knitted Tops Permitted → Aaaaah, yes. Knits, knits and more knits. Knit sweaters and tops of all kinds have debuted fashion shows all around the world this year. We’ve seen plenty in the past, but the new twists are something to be seen. Not only do knitted sweaters and shirts look amazing on both men and women, they truly make your fall fashion looks super cozy and put together. Paired with some boots or fall sneakers, you really can’t go wrong. Play with colors, styles and textures and pick yourself up a few new tops for this autumn season. Knits are truly wonderful to wear in just about any occasion as they are highly versatile!
With so many more fashion trends emerging every season, it can be hard to stay on top of what is in-style. Typically, many things never truly go out of style unless it is a new fad. If something does happen to go out of style, it usually tends to circulate and make its way back around in upcoming years. Invest in some trendy clothing and buy good quality so you can swap with years to come. Who knows, you may even be the person to bring something back into style that is considered to be outdated!
If you’re in Rhode Island and looking to do some shopping, we highly recommend stopping by Garden City Shopping Center. It’s a beautiful, fun environment and you are not contained to one massive building. With stores like Anthropologie, Banana Republic, J.Crew and many more, you’ll find yourself strolling around with your coffee and enjoying the fresh air. For accessories and more, we highly recommend Flaunt Boutique in Greenville. Lastly, if you’re looking for some hot shoes to match your new outfit, Providence Place Mall has plenty of stores to offer!
If you’re in need of eyewear this upcoming autumn season, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We are always up-to-date at OPTX Rhode Island with emerging trends and new designer lines. We love to see what designers offer for eyewear as the seasons change and what new styles are being incorporated. One of our frame stylists or opticians can help you pick eyewear that is fitted perfectly for you and your budget. Stop by our gallery or get in contact with us! We’re located at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston Rhode Island. You can also reach us via telephone at (401) 521-6789. Most certainly feel free to browse through our website as well: www.optxrhodeisland.com.
Wayland Square is an area in the East side of Providence that runs along the Seekonk River. It’s definitely a fun area to be at any age and many people love coming here. Whether you go out for brunch with your squad, head there during your lunch break or in between classes, this is sure to be one of your treasure spots. Families are loving time together in this area too! Here you can find yourself shopping, dining and wandering around, with plenty of sidewalks throughout. Not only is there a lot to do within Wayland Square but in close proximity nearby is a park as well. The food is awesome and there are plenty of choices for all. The shops and boutiques are one of a kind and gives the area its own “town feel.” A day trip in this area and you’ll find yourself going more often after the first time!
1. L’Artisan Cafe and Bakery and Starbucks are some of the most popular coffee shops in Wayland Square. L’Artisan has amazing choices for bakery items to go along with your coffee. Highly recommended by reviewers and locals makes this place a great place to stop for a quick pick me up. Starbucks is a great place to meet and enjoy some time as well. Whether you’re updating spreadsheets, doing homework or simply reading and relaxing, you can always rely on Starbucks to be a go-to option as well! Grab a coffee or a baked good and enjoy your time in Wayland Square!
2. Dining in this area is superb! There are plenty of options and spots to stop and grab a bite. Whether you are craving something or want to try something new, we’ve got some suggestions for you! The first is Salted Slate which is high quality American food made with local and high quality ingredients. You truly can’t go wrong at this place. The next place is Red Stripe. It’s a large restaurant with a great all-around menu. They have French influences and this spot is known very well for its awesome brunch menu! Thirdly, we recommend you make a stop at Pasta Beach. This quaint and cozy establishment is the perfect place to grab some yummy Italian cuisine. Pasta, pizza, salads - all with portions that will not disappoint! Lastly, if you’re craving some Asian dishes, stop by Haruki East. Reviewers boast that the sushi is a piece of art in itself! All of these places are great options to dine. Of course, there are plenty more so if you are hungry and in the area, you will leave with a full and happy belly for sure!
3. Shopping in the stores and all the adorable boutiques will have you leaving with some goodies. A favorite in the area is Harper and Tucker. It’s an extremely cute and charming fashion boutique with beach and bohemian vibes. The story behind this boutique comes from two best friends and it is complete goals! Wendy Brown Home is another favorite for many. There you can find gorgeous home decor with tons of linens and accessories for our inner interior designers. Retail therapy in Wayland Square? We think yes!!
4. Bottles Fine Wine is a beer and liquor store that many people know about in this area. What many people don’t know is that they also do engraving of bottles, weekly events and even wine tastings! You can check out their events and more by visiting their website of checking out their Facebook page. Nothing like a little stroll around Wayland followed by some wine tasting, eh?
5. Blackstone Park Conservation District is a 45 acre park and forest that also features tons of open space surrounded by woodlands too that is a short distance from the hub of Wayland Square. Blackstone is perfect for picnics or a stroll to enjoy the wildlife. It’s a great way to start or finish the day. Breathe in some fresh air, go for a jog or bring your whole family here! Waterman Street dog park is also nearby and a great spot to stop by for all the dog lovers out there!
We hope you enjoy some time out on the town and the area of Wayland Square in Providence, Rhode Island. If you find yourself wandering around throughout the day, don’t forget to protect your eyes and bring your sunnies! If you’re in need of some new sunglasses please feel free to visit us at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston Rhode Island. To contact our eyewear specialists you can call us at (401)521-6789 and don’t forget to visit us at www.optxrhodeisland.com.
Providence is the capital city of Rhode Island. Not only is Providence historic and beautiful, but it is one of the oldest cities in our nation! There is so much to see and do so we’ve got you covered with the various activities and sights to see when you find yourself in this city. A melting pot of cultures, food, history and shopping - you are bound to have an awesome time within this city.
1. A fun and eventful place to be in Providence is found right near the Brown University campus. The campus of Brown is a sight to see in itself, as the campus boasts many historical and modern mixes of buildings. You can find many people flocking down to Thayer Street, where you can find some amazing food, shops and bars. This is a fun place to be during the day or the night. Many events are usually going on nearby all year round. Park your car, rent a scooter and spend the day in this area! Providence boasts itself as one of the best cities in America for creatives and quick (or long) visit to Thayer Street will give you a glimpse into the local arts and flows of creativity.
2. Speaking of creativity, the RISD Museum should be on your bucket list when visiting Rhode Island, or if you simply live in Rhode Island and have not had a chance to visit. The museum itself was founded in the late 1800’s and to this day has an immense amount of exhibits and objects. Here you can find “ancient” art and modern art so there is something for everyone here. If you have ever thought about attending Rhode Island School of Design, take a stop or a tour of the museum and you will surely get the answer you are looking for!
3. Water Fires in Providence are a beautiful and engaging place to be. People from all over Rhode Island and neighboring states flock over to be a part of these spectacular nights. The Water Fires begin in May and usually end in November when the colder months make their way towards Rhode Island. There are vendors set up all over in the heart of the city and plenty to see or do. Music is playing all along the rivers and it is definitely a fun and wonderful way to spend a night out in the town. Check out their full schedule on their website.
4. Providence Place Mall is ever evolving and a really great place to be if you find yourself looking for something to do. There are over 150 shops and it is the largest shopping mall/center in Rhode Island. Along with all the shops, you can find a large food court and many gorgeous dining centers on the ground level such as The Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Chang’s and Uno’s. But wait, there’s more! There is also a large IMAX theater on the top floor and a Dave & Buster’s which is a fun, interactive entertainment center for all ages. Surely, you won’t be disappointed with a trip to this mall. Do some shopping, eat some food, play some games and you will leave happy!
5. If you love to watch live shows, concerts or plays then the Providence Performing Arts Center is the place for you. It’s a world class venue with an abundance of shows and performances to see all year round. It is the “second largest theatre of its kind in the country” and it has beautiful architecture that is worth viewing in itself. The interior is simply gorgeous and has had a lot of attention placed on detail and all the intricate design. View all the entertainment available for viewing on their website. Even if you are not one that big into arts or entertainment of this nature, it is worth seeing when you are in Providence. You will be glad you did!
6. The Dunkin’ Donuts Center of Providence is a super large indoor multi-use arena where you can watch various events from concerts, sporting events, family shows and many more. The center stage can be set to accommodate all types of shows from dirt to ice and much more. It’s the staple arena for events in Rhode Island and it was renovated in 2008. Check out their website for a full listing of shows and dates.
7. If you love politics and/or history, touring the Rhode Island State House is definitely for you. The State House is immaculate and constructed of beautiful architecture and materials. You are able to tour the State House and the grounds surrounding it with either a free guided tour or a self-guided tour (by printing out a self-guided brochure). Tours last about an hour and if you have a large group that needs to be accommodated you may be able to make a reservation in advance. Check out their website for times available to tour. Soak in the history and the architecture like never before in Rhode Island!
8. If you’re looking for a place to visit when the sun starts to set and you’re in need of a nice cocktail, we suggest you go to Waterplace. You’re able to get stunning views of Providence while dining and sipping some of the best food around. There are plenty of places to grab a good drink of meal nearby. You can also visit Capital Grill or Jacky’s Galaxie to end off your day in Providence. Neither of these will disappoint! Sip, Drink, Hooray!
9. Take a visit to Rhode Island’s very own “Little Italy”! Among us Rhode Islander’s, it is better known as Federal Hill. You can find some of the highest rated cuisine and restaurants in Rhode Island on Federal Hill, while enjoying a stroll and stopping by some cute boutiques and specialty shops. Many of the foods and ingredients used in these restaurants are actually imported straight from Italy itself. Federal Hill has been named one of the country’s most authentic Italian neighborhoods and you don’t want to miss this when you are in the Providence area! Grub here until you can’t anymore!
10. If you’re looking for a romantic outing, a fun family trip or an excursion with some of your friends, than taking a ride on La Gondola in Providence is the place for you. Experience the breathtaking views of the city while relaxing on the main river of Providence. It’s a beloved experience in Rhode Island and many consider it to be extremely romantic. Some reviews have even said that they forgot they are in Providence, but rather felt like they were somewhere in Europe! Book a ride on one of La Gondola’s and you will never look back.
If you go out on an exquisite day trip in and around Providence, don’t forget your sunglasses to up your “cool factor” and to protect your eyes from damaging sun rays. Call, stop in at our store or visit our website for more information. Our opticians and frame stylists will be happy to help you select just the right style, prescription or non-prescription sunglasses or eyewear! Showroom: 1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston, RI 02919, 401-521-6789, www.OPTXrhodeisland.com
Rhode Island is known for the rolling coastlines and beautiful scenery, especially in the warm and sunny summer months. There is so much to see and so much to do around this small state. Rhode Islanders seem to thrive during the warm months when beaches and waterfront scenery is a weekly tradition for most families. We found some of the best lighthouses to visit in Rhode Island, and we just can’t wait to share them with you! Lighthouses play a major historic role in New England’s extensive history and are oftentimes overlooked or taken for granted. We’ve compiled a short and sweet list of some of our favorite lighthouses to visit or view in Rhode Island. Take a look, go on an adventure and soak in all of the beauty and history behind each of these.
1. Beavertail Lighthouse is located in Jamestown, Rhode Island. This lighthouse is one of the top and premier lighthouses in Rhode Island. It’s 64 feet high and located in Beavertail State Park. This lighthouse contains the gorgeous “beehive” Fresnal lens and it’s important to the state of Rhode Island and it’s fellow boaters. It assures navigation for many entering boats in the Narragansett Bay. You can find tourists and locals flocking nearby to fish, enjoy the sun and rocks, or just walking about.
2. The Rose Island Light is located in Newport, Rhode Island. If you’re looking for a true adventure, this is your spot. This gorgeous and historic lighthouse is preserved, maintained and controlled by a lighthouse foundation. This lighthouse actually sits atop a bastion built in the early 1800’s, and guess what? The only way you can get to it is by boat! You also have the option to spend a night as a guest for a fee, or even a week as a “lighthouse keeper”. Pack your bags and get to Rose Island for an experience of a lifetime.
3. Conimicut Shoal Light is in Warwick, Rhode Island. This lighthouse is also listed on the Register of Historic Places. This lighthouse hasn’t been restored, although there are talks of doing so in the city of Warwick. Based on the fact it is over 100 years old, it is said to still be in good condition and it’s definitely still a sight to see based on its age and historic engineering. This 58-foot lighthouse can be seen from Conimicut Point Park, but many say it’s best viewed by boat. This lighthouse, in particular, was one of the very last in the United States to convert to electricity from the traditional oil vapor!
4. The Watch Hill Light is located in Westerly, Rhode Island. This lighthouse definitely boasts an abundance of stories and beautiful history relating to New England. As one of the oldest in the nation, this light house is considered to be a “nautical beacon” for ships and boats nearby to this day. President Thomas Jefferson was the first to order construction and engineering of this lighthouse, which first stood at only 35 feet tall. Today, the lighthouse is at almost 60 feet tall which was rebuilt due to erosion in the mid 1850’s. Historical photos and historical documents can be viewed at the lighthouse during the summer months. A treasure, a beauty and a sight to be seen.
5. The Southeast Light is located in Block Island, Rhode Island. This lighthouse is drop-dead gorgeous. It is considered to be one of the most sophisticated and most architecturally pleasing in the United States. It is absolutely stunning gothic beauty and worth a trip if you ever find yourself on Block Island. A small museum and gift shop is on the grounds as well, making it an awesome outing. It stands at about 50 feet tall and the future holds potential bed-and-breakfast suites. Check this out, you will not be disappointed!
We hope this information leads you and your family on a wonderful summertime adventure! Be sure to protect your eyes at all times while outdoors, especially by any bodies of water, where the UV rays are far stronger. If you are in need of new sunglasses for your day trip or lighthouse journey, be sure to stop into OPTX Rhode Island. Located at 1277 Hartford Avenue in Johnston, Rhode Island. Reach us by phone at (401)-521-6789 and visit our webpage at www.optxrhodeisland.com for more information.
“See the world like you’ve never seen” - Maui Jim
Maui Jim is one of the world’s best known sunglass brands. Not only can you spot this brand on various celebrities, but you can find it on world renowned athletes and sports enthusiasts.
The company first began when its original owner, Jim Richards, started selling sunglasses in the 1980’s on the beautiful island of Maui in Hawaii. Hence, the name today which still stands, Maui Jim.
It started out as a small company that sold glasses on a beach in Hawaii. They saw a serious need in the market for high-quality lenses that could combat a variety of hazards that the sun can bring upon the eyes and their health. The company that once began with only seven styles has sprung into a greatly successful brand that other companies have looked up to for years. Today, all of the Maui Jim sunglasses for women and for men are polarized, with lenses offering 100% protection from harmful UVA/UVB rays.
Today, Maui Jim’s home office is located in Lahaina, Maui. With the years of experience this company holds, they have made some of the best sunglasses and lenses out in the market. All of their glasses are still tested and even designed in their home office.
The company takes pride in the fact that they get much of their inspiration from the great outdoors and all of mother nature. Especially the sun. Nowadays, not only do their lenses allow you to feel confident that they protect your eyes, but they also allow you to see the world around you with more intense and vibrant colors. Their customer service also has outstanding ratings and one of the best in the industry. Maui Jim stands behind every pair of their glasses.
Their technology is definitely one of the most superior within the marketplace. Certain lense options and styles provide you with unique benefits and options to enhance your experience while wearing the sunglasses. On top of that, their grade of quality makes the lenses scratch resistant and their frames resistant to water and oil damage. This company truly takes big strides to provide protection from various environmental stressors regarding your overall eye health. Be sure to check out their “technology” section on www.mauijim.com for more information.
The best part about this company is that everyone loves Maui Jim glasses! Celebrities have been seen wearing or promoting Maui Jim. Some of these include Barack Obama, The Clooneys, Jennifer Aniston, the notorious Hugh Hefner and more. It doesn’t end there though. More importantly, a large array of athletes and sports enthusiasts all across the globe love this company’s sunglasses. You can find it anywhere. From surfers to fishers, to snowboarding and skiing, golfers, tennis players and many many more, Maui Jim sunglasses are an absolute hit.
Some of the most popular Maui Jim styles include the infamous Maui Jim punchbowl, the Maui Jim black coral, the Maui Jim stingray, the Maui Jim Makaha and many more. Maui Jim aviators are a huge hit and have been for many years, but the Maui Jim sport sunglasses are also why the company continues to thrive around the world. Stingray
Prices for sunglasses range from about $160 to upwards of $500 depending on the style and lens treatments. Prescription eyeglasses are available for order only through licensed retailers. For pricing on prescription eyewear, give our optical team a call at (401)-521-6789 or visit us at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston, RI. We are proud to be an official seller of Maui Jim sunglasses and we always have a large variety in stock at our beautiful showroom. We look forward to seeing you soon to assist with all of your Maui Jim questions and purchases! Aloha!
Oh, Rhode Island… How much we love your cuisine!
Rhode Island gives us all four seasons, beautiful coastlines, gorgeous historic towns, and places. Most of all, Rhode Island gives us some of the best and luxurious dining options one could only dream of for such a small state!
Whether you live in the state or are touring/visiting, finding local delicious food is essential when it comes to enjoying your time somewhere. Rhode Island is known for some of the best seafood spots across New England. There are also some highly rated restaurants serving international cuisine and dishes that will leave you asking yourself, “Where has this restaurant been all my life?”
Matunuck Oyster Bar, South Kingstown/Newport
If you are in Rhode Island, you do NOT want to miss this place. It is well known around the New England area. They have an amazing motto of “Farm to Table” and “Pond to Plate”. Not only will you be immersed in the beauty of this waterfront restaurant, but you also will never be disappointed with the various seafood options. Guests rave about the food quality and freshness in this spot. They also offer “Farm Tours” in which you can have a unique experience and see how shellfish are cultivated in the local waters nearby.
The Dining Room at Castle Hill Inn, Newport
This elegant and beautiful dining experience in Newport is considered to be New England dining at it’s finest. You will not only experience the succulent tastes of all of their dishes, but you’ll be accompanied by an oceanfront view and impeccable service from the staff. Did we forget to mention it is inside an insanely gorgeous historic mansion? The chef’s and team in the kitchen use cooking techniques from across the globe, with many locally sourced ingredients as well. The wine menu has held various awards, as has the dining experience itself!
Spain Restaurant, Cranston and Narragansett
The setting is everything when it comes to fine dining. Spain Restaurant in Cranston (there is also a Spain of Narragansett) captivates the beauty of food with a warm, inviting and eclectic feeling environment. The Mediterranean inspired cuisine holds up to its standards with years of experience in the industry. The menus boast a balancing mix of Spanish food as well as the beloved New England style dining. The food is also being locally sourced, especially the seafood, which they pride themselves on. It has become a classic in Rhode Island, and if you haven’t been there already, we’re sure you’ve probably heard of Spain before!
Capital Grille, Providence
You can find many Capital Grille locations around the major cities in the United States. They all have stunning architecture and elegant dining you will surely not forget. The Capital Grille locations all carry world-class and award-winning wines. If you’re looking for an all-around luxury dining experience, we recommend you come to this sophisticated restaurant. It’s located right in downtown, right off the highway, but valet is always available for your convenience.
Los Andes Restaurant, Providence
If you’re into Peruvian and Bolivian cuisine than this spot is bound to be at the top of your list of favorites. This restaurant is simply gorgeous inside with awesome decor, but that certainly does not beat the Latin flavor you will receive when dining here. The exotic tastes are unbeatable in this area, as is the presentation. The reviews speak for themselves! Customers are in love with this spot. Once you step foot in here, it’s hard to not love it! The food is more than just delightful, it’s wonderful. Next time you’re looking to make a reservation somewhere, be sure to try this place if you haven’t already.
Gracie’s is the epitome of fine dining in terms of the dishes and cuisine they offer. The menu changes seasonally and they harvest and source the freshest ingredients possible. This restaurant has won various awards and certifications and they also received the four-diamond award! This cozy and upscale spot with attention to detail will leave you wanting to come back, that’s for sure! They offer off-site catering and they are a full-service event venue too. Is there anything Gracie’s can’t do or provide?
Mill’s Tavern, Providence
Another beautiful and casually elegant restaurant in the Providence area. This has been a Rhode Island favorite for many years. Its location is in historic College Hill and the fine dining experience here is one of few of this class. The rustic, classy, historic and modern setting all in one isn’t the best of what they have to offer. Alongside the environmental beauty, there are various award-winning menus and wines. Elegant, true and fresh dining will sweep you off your feet in this spot!
Located in the financial district of Providence, Capriccio is fine dining to the max. The service is absolutely amazing and guests always rave about this restaurant. The elegant, sophisticated and historic furnishings paired with the incredible cuisine offered here will make this a trip to remember. Their international menu is one of the most extensive in the New England area! Capriccios is an ideal venue for high-end functions as well.
La Masseria, East Greenwich
Who doesn’t love some authentic Italian cuisine once in a while? Or all the time?! This spot is said to have mixed the countryside of Italy with a Manhattan feel. There is lots of old world charm in this gorgeous restaurant, which makes it so inviting, warm and cozy. The food is not only delicious with some of the best ingredients, but it’s authentic and evokes flavors and aromas that will remind you of Italy. Located conveniently on Main Street in E.G, it is the perfect place to sip some wine and enjoy some food after a stroll or shopping trip.
As the long, beautiful, lazy, sunny days of summer roll in making sure to include one of these delicious spots for lunch or dinner. Dining outside? You’ll need fashionable sunglasses for that! Call us (401) 521-6789 or stop into our beautiful boutique at 1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston, RI to shop great options to both protect your eyes from the sun and to add some glamour to your summer wardrobe! Check out our web site too: www.OPTXrhodeisland.com
Have you ever purchased an item or a good that you thought was truly authentic or designer, only to find out …. you didn’t purchase what you thought you purchased ?!!!!
Not only is it an awful feeling, but you’ve wasted your money and time! Don’t worry, you’re not alone. This happens to so many people on a daily basis, and sometimes you may not even know that an item you’ve purchased is a fake or a knock off.
When it comes to eyewear, it can be quite hard to spot a fake. It’s easy to find Ray Bans, or the hottest and newest Chanel, Versace, Gucci, Oakley, Cartier, Dior, etc. styles online. BUT PLEASE BEWARE!! Many of them are fake if they do not come from a reputable, official retailer or website. You may think you just scored $20.00 Ray Bans off the web, but they more than likely aren’t authentic designer sunglasses.
Fake glasses are not only annoying, but they can also impact your health! A lot of eyewear that is advertised as “designer” but is fake can be made very cheaply, with loose hinges, poor acetate and metals, and most importantly - bad lenses that don’t even end up protecting your eyes! These can cause reactions on skin, glasses falling apart (literally on your face) and eye problems!
We’re here to help though! We’ve spotted so much fake eyewear over the years and we can give you some tell-tale signs on how to spot fakes. You may not be able to tell by an advertised photo online, but sure enough, when you get the product in your hands, you should do a thorough check.
If you suspect you’ve been a victim to purchasing fraud or fake designer eyewear, it’s best to return it or file a notice with the BBB regarding the website or store. Some FINE print might state the eyewear is “inspired by”, which in turn will mean it’s not authentic. Be sure to read return policies, check out the seller, and make sure you get a good look before and after purchasing.
If you have any questions regarding fake designer eyewear, we are here to help! Feel free to stop in and speak to one of our opticians/frame stylists. You can even bring in your eyewear and we can take a look to make sure it’s authentic. It’s best to purchase from retailers or websites where the product is guaranteed, such as OPTX rhode island. We pride ourselves on the relationships we have with various designer eyewear brands and the authenticity of our products. You can also reach us via phone at (401)-521-6789 or visit our website at www.optxrhodeisland.com.