Oh, Rhode Island… How much we love your cuisine!
Rhode Island gives us all four seasons, beautiful coastlines, gorgeous historic towns, and places. Most of all, Rhode Island gives us some of the best and luxurious dining options one could only dream of for such a small state!
Whether you live in the state or are touring/visiting, finding local delicious food is essential when it comes to enjoying your time somewhere. Rhode Island is known for some of the best seafood spots across New England. There are also some highly rated restaurants serving international cuisine and dishes that will leave you asking yourself, “Where has this restaurant been all my life?”
Matunuck Oyster Bar, South Kingstown/Newport
If you are in Rhode Island, you do NOT want to miss this place. It is well known around the New England area. They have an amazing motto of “Farm to Table” and “Pond to Plate”. Not only will you be immersed in the beauty of this waterfront restaurant, but you also will never be disappointed with the various seafood options. Guests rave about the food quality and freshness in this spot. They also offer “Farm Tours” in which you can have a unique experience and see how shellfish are cultivated in the local waters nearby.
The Dining Room at Castle Hill Inn, Newport
This elegant and beautiful dining experience in Newport is considered to be New England dining at it’s finest. You will not only experience the succulent tastes of all of their dishes, but you’ll be accompanied by an oceanfront view and impeccable service from the staff. Did we forget to mention it is inside an insanely gorgeous historic mansion? The chef’s and team in the kitchen use cooking techniques from across the globe, with many locally sourced ingredients as well. The wine menu has held various awards, as has the dining experience itself!
Spain Restaurant, Cranston and Narragansett
The setting is everything when it comes to fine dining. Spain Restaurant in Cranston (there is also a Spain of Narragansett) captivates the beauty of food with a warm, inviting and eclectic feeling environment. The Mediterranean inspired cuisine holds up to its standards with years of experience in the industry. The menus boast a balancing mix of Spanish food as well as the beloved New England style dining. The food is also being locally sourced, especially the seafood, which they pride themselves on. It has become a classic in Rhode Island, and if you haven’t been there already, we’re sure you’ve probably heard of Spain before!
Capital Grille, Providence
You can find many Capital Grille locations around the major cities in the United States. They all have stunning architecture and elegant dining you will surely not forget. The Capital Grille locations all carry world-class and award-winning wines. If you’re looking for an all-around luxury dining experience, we recommend you come to this sophisticated restaurant. It’s located right in downtown, right off the highway, but valet is always available for your convenience.
Los Andes Restaurant, Providence
If you’re into Peruvian and Bolivian cuisine than this spot is bound to be at the top of your list of favorites. This restaurant is simply gorgeous inside with awesome decor, but that certainly does not beat the Latin flavor you will receive when dining here. The exotic tastes are unbeatable in this area, as is the presentation. The reviews speak for themselves! Customers are in love with this spot. Once you step foot in here, it’s hard to not love it! The food is more than just delightful, it’s wonderful. Next time you’re looking to make a reservation somewhere, be sure to try this place if you haven’t already.
Gracie’s is the epitome of fine dining in terms of the dishes and cuisine they offer. The menu changes seasonally and they harvest and source the freshest ingredients possible. This restaurant has won various awards and certifications and they also received the four-diamond award! This cozy and upscale spot with attention to detail will leave you wanting to come back, that’s for sure! They offer off-site catering and they are a full-service event venue too. Is there anything Gracie’s can’t do or provide?
Mill’s Tavern, Providence
Another beautiful and casually elegant restaurant in the Providence area. This has been a Rhode Island favorite for many years. Its location is in historic College Hill and the fine dining experience here is one of few of this class. The rustic, classy, historic and modern setting all in one isn’t the best of what they have to offer. Alongside the environmental beauty, there are various award-winning menus and wines. Elegant, true and fresh dining will sweep you off your feet in this spot!
Located in the financial district of Providence, Capriccio is fine dining to the max. The service is absolutely amazing and guests always rave about this restaurant. The elegant, sophisticated and historic furnishings paired with the incredible cuisine offered here will make this a trip to remember. Their international menu is one of the most extensive in the New England area! Capriccios is an ideal venue for high-end functions as well.
La Masseria, East Greenwich
Who doesn’t love some authentic Italian cuisine once in a while? Or all the time?! This spot is said to have mixed the countryside of Italy with a Manhattan feel. There is lots of old world charm in this gorgeous restaurant, which makes it so inviting, warm and cozy. The food is not only delicious with some of the best ingredients, but it’s authentic and evokes flavors and aromas that will remind you of Italy. Located conveniently on Main Street in E.G, it is the perfect place to sip some wine and enjoy some food after a stroll or shopping trip.
As the long, beautiful, lazy, sunny days of summer roll in making sure to include one of these delicious spots for lunch or dinner. Dining outside? You’ll need fashionable sunglasses for that! Call us (401) 521-6789 or stop into our beautiful boutique at 1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston, RI to shop great options to both protect your eyes from the sun and to add some glamour to your summer wardrobe! Check out our web site too: www.OPTXrhodeisland.com
Have you ever purchased an item or a good that you thought was truly authentic or designer, only to find out …. you didn’t purchase what you thought you purchased ?!!!!
Not only is it an awful feeling, but you’ve wasted your money and time! Don’t worry, you’re not alone. This happens to so many people on a daily basis, and sometimes you may not even know that an item you’ve purchased is a fake or a knock off.
When it comes to eyewear, it can be quite hard to spot a fake. It’s easy to find Ray Bans, or the hottest and newest Chanel, Versace, Gucci, Oakley, Cartier, Dior, etc. styles online. BUT PLEASE BEWARE!! Many of them are fake if they do not come from a reputable, official retailer or website. You may think you just scored $20.00 Ray Bans off the web, but they more than likely aren’t authentic designer sunglasses.
Fake glasses are not only annoying, but they can also impact your health! A lot of eyewear that is advertised as “designer” but is fake can be made very cheaply, with loose hinges, poor acetate and metals, and most importantly - bad lenses that don’t even end up protecting your eyes! These can cause reactions on skin, glasses falling apart (literally on your face) and eye problems!
We’re here to help though! We’ve spotted so much fake eyewear over the years and we can give you some tell-tale signs on how to spot fakes. You may not be able to tell by an advertised photo online, but sure enough, when you get the product in your hands, you should do a thorough check.
If you suspect you’ve been a victim to purchasing fraud or fake designer eyewear, it’s best to return it or file a notice with the BBB regarding the website or store. Some FINE print might state the eyewear is “inspired by”, which in turn will mean it’s not authentic. Be sure to read return policies, check out the seller, and make sure you get a good look before and after purchasing.
If you have any questions regarding fake designer eyewear, we are here to help! Feel free to stop in and speak to one of our opticians/frame stylists. You can even bring in your eyewear and we can take a look to make sure it’s authentic. It’s best to purchase from retailers or websites where the product is guaranteed, such as OPTX rhode island. We pride ourselves on the relationships we have with various designer eyewear brands and the authenticity of our products. You can also reach us via phone at (401)-521-6789 or visit our website at www.optxrhodeisland.com.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and that means that chocolates, flowers and romance will be all around us!
Rhode Island is filled with wonderful places to go, or to purchase some sweet gifts!
1. Of course, OPTX Rhode Island is always a great place to gift shop for occasions such as Valentine’s Day! Who doesn’t love some new designer eyewear? This Valentine’s Day OPTX also offers a complimentary VIP room experience in which you can shop privately with an optician/frame stylist. Complimentary refreshments, chocolates and flowers are also included in this package. Perfect for a couples night! Maybe you and your loved one will end up with some new matching eyewear? Check out the trendy new styles by Ray Ban, Gucci, Dior, Oakley, Maui Jim and many more.
2. Jewelry is huge when it comes to Valentine’s Day, as most of us know. It’s a timeless piece that people can cherish and enjoy for years to come. Jewelry can be the perfect way to show your feelings, or take the next step - if you catch our drift! ♥ Jewelry doesn’t have to be geared towards just women either, there’s plenty of pieces one can purchase for that special man in your life too! We love the family owned shop Stencel Jewelers in East Greenwich on 40 Main Street, and we’re sure you will too!
3. Namaste …. The gift of yoga! This is a fun gift that couples can even choose to take part in together. Yoga not only boasts many physical benefits, but it’s also amazing for one’s mind and soul! It’s the perfect way to destress, focus on yourself and unwind. Raffa Yoga in Cranston is one of our favorites and they host a variety of classes for all of the yoga lovers out there - new and old.
4. A fun gift that will bring joy just a few months later can include purchasing a gift certificate/ticket to pick your own tulips at our local Tulip Farm. Wicked Tulips Farm in Johnston will be opening in the spring and closing just before summer for the “U-pick” events so make sure you don’t miss out! Tulip season is quite short, so grab your tickets as early as possible. The perfect romantic date set for Spring that you can look forward to. Let the love blossom all year ‘round. ☺
5. Ugh, the gift of FOOD!! Probably one of everybody’s favorite gifts! We have some amazing restaurants here in Rhode Island, so be sure to take advantage of them this Valentine’s Day. Whether you take someone out for dinner, purchase a gift certificate, or have a girls/boys night out, the gift of food always prevails! Be sure to book reservations in advance when dining in. Some of our favorite romance spots to dine in Rhode Island include, Chapel Grille, Spain in Cranston, Siena, and La Masseria!
6. Accessories make a perfect gift because they are staples in everyone’s closet. Flaunt Boutique in is conveniently located in Smithfield, RI and boasts a variety of fun accessories available for purchase right in store. From handbags, to body care, jewelry and much more, this family owned store is the perfect one stop shop for all!
7. And of course, last but not least…. CHOCOLATE! Chocolate makes everyone happy and is a traditional symbol of Valentine’s Day. Not only does chocolate taste good, but it makes you feel good… literally. Many forms of chocolate are actually natural aphrodisiacs. (Woot woot! Lol!) We have some great Rhode Island chocolate shops that are considered now to be landmarks among us. These include places such as Sweenor’s and The Chocolate Delicacy.
So when it comes to shopping or gifting during Valentine’s Day, don’t stress! Sometimes simplicity is all you need, like some flowers or a box of chocolates and a sweet card. It’s not about HOW MUCH you spend, but rather the love behind the gift being given. If you happen to want to give the gift of sunglasses (or prescription eyewear), you’re not only giving a gorgeous gift but protecting your loved ones eyes as well. Be sure to give us a call at (401)-521-6789 if you need an eye exam, or if you’d like to speak to our optical staff.
Check out our gallery and all our new styles at 1277 Hartford Avenue in Johnston, RI. As always, feel free to browse through our website at www.optxrhodeisland.com.
♥ Happy Valentine’s Day!!! ♥
The New Year is a happy, scary, and nostalgic time in the year. During the end of one year, we find ourselves in the midst of all the holiday celebrations and starting to think about what the New Year might bring us. We’re all used to the New Year’s resolutions that we tell ourselves will be a part in our lives, but we also all know that sometimes we don’t always stick to our goals and plans the entire new year.
It may be impossible to stick to every resolution you’ve set for yourself. But, it’s not impossible to try!
We’ve decided to put together a list of potential resolutions that can make YOU happier, which is what it’s all about! Self-love, self-happiness and self-care can go a long way in your journey to attaining important life goals. Some of the simplest resolutions can set the tone for the upcoming year - in a good way!
1. Set fitness goals, and STICK TO THEM! You don’t have to set unrealistic goals, or even fitness aspirations that you know deep down will be hard and stressful to attain. It can simply be taking a walk for 20 minutes after work, going to the gym even once or twice a week, or simply trying a new sport! Group classes are a great way to stay motivated and attain some of the most reasonable fitness goals. That’s not to say you shouldn’t train to be in a fitness or weight lifting competition. If you know you can do it, then like Nike would say, “Just do it!”.
2. Eat Healthier! No one is perfect and we all have our downfalls, especially when it comes to food. People find it really hard to get out of bad eating habits, but one of the only ways you can kick them to the curb is by introducing healthy foods into your diet. As weird as it may sound, the more you introduce healthy foods to your body and mind, the less you will eventually crave junk foods. Especially if you pair healthy eating with some exercise! Foods packed with nutrition that our bodies want will actually boost your moods, mentality and overall appearance too!
3. Adopt an Animal! Animals bring us so much joy, love and most of all - happiness! Stop by a local shelter and adopt an animal that is in need of a home. It’s a decision that will not only change your life, but the life of your new, rescued companion!
4. Save some money! When you begin saving, and you see the numbers go up, you will feel so good about yourself and you can use some of that money to buy something you’ve always wanted, make a thoughtful purchase for someone else, and much more. You won’t feel guilty about buying that expensive pair of shoes, some vintage jewelry, a new handbag, or even a beautiful new pair of sunglasses!
5. Travel!! (Maybe with the money you’ve saved up^!) to a place you have been eyeing for all of those years! Vacations provide us relief from our daily stresses, make for amazing life-time memories, and give us a sense of appreciation for the world! It doesn’t have to be a fancy Caribbean getaway, it can even be to a neighboring state or a short drive away from you.
6. Get into a new hobby. A new hobby can change the way you look at free time and make you more excited to start your day! Especially if you find yourself immersed in a new hobby that truly excites you or brings joy to your life. It can be starting yoga, getting into art, collecting something, crafting, or just about anything! Who knows, maybe it can fuel you to begin your own business or sell a product or design.
7. Start spending your time with the right people! This can truly change one’s life, not just a year. Eliminating toxic people or simply spending more time with family and those you truly love can even set you up to become more motivated. You’ll find yourself enjoying time spent time with people around you far more than you did before!
8. Volunteer and find a way to give back to your local community, or even on a global level. Start a fundraiser, volunteer at a shelter, do something for someone else, besides only yourself (even though you are most important!). Giving up some of your time, or a few pennies here and there can change someone else’s life. And you know what they say, Karma is good to you if you do good in the world!
9. Do yourself and your body a favor by getting more sleep or heading to bed at an earlier hour. This will set you up for a more successful day in the morning, and give you more time to accomplish things prior to officially starting your day! A well rested mind and body can do nothing but good to you! If you do it often enough, it can become one of your best habits for the new year!
10. Enjoy the little things in life! It’s time for you to learn how to stop and smell the roses. Go for a walk by yourself, and appreciate nature around you. Life is too short for us to ponder and stress about things that really will make no major impact(s) in our lives. When you learn how to enjoy the little moments and things in life, you learn how to enjoy life overall. Appreciate everything around you and realize that everything has a purpose here.
For any questions or concerns regarding your eye-care or eye-wear, please contact us via our website at www.optxrhodeisland.com. You can also call us at (401)-521-6789. In the area? - Stop by and visit our team at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston, Rhode Island 02919. Also please find us on Instagram and FaceBook @OPTXeyewear !
Rhode Island may be the smallest state in the United States, but that doesn’t mean we have the smallest spirit when it comes to the holidays! Our little treasure has so much to offer and so much to do! We should all enjoy the little things in life and appreciate those around us
We’ve put together a cute and short guide on things to do within our Little Rhody during the holidays!
Make Your Own Evergreen Wreath at Casey Farm
Located in Saunderstown, RI, the Casey Farm is where history meets modern day farmhouse. Here you can find goods that have been imported straight from England and beautiful, fresh, organic produce. On November 25th they are hosting an event in which you can make your own evergreen wreath! Talk about an awesome way to kick off the festive season which is just around the corner.
Henry’s Tree Farm
If you’re looking for a fun family outing that all will enjoy, then picking or tagging your Christmas tree is just the thing to do! Henry’s tree farm located on Seven Mile Road in Hope, RI Near Cranston has a great assortment of tree varieties and they have many services they offer. Some of the most gorgeous Christmas Trees can be found here.
Christmas in Newport
Christmas in Newport runs every year from December 1st until the last day of the month. Many Rhode Islanders flock to Newport County during the holidays to experience their very own Christmas in Newport celebration. They host concerts, different types of fairs, tree lighting and special tours of the mansions. If you love Newport, you’ll love it even more during the holidays!
Gluten Free New England Holiday Fest
The 2018 Gluten Free Holiday Fest will be hosted at the Crowne Plaza in Warwick on December 16th this year! The holidays can take not just a toll on many financially, but also on our waistlines, LOL! Although many of us indulge, there are many that don’t have the opportunity to eat most of the treats many of us get to enjoy during the holidays. This fest focuses all on gluten-free delicious recipes that can still make your holidays merry and bright. They’ve received awesome feedback in the past and we’re sure the food is super tasty!
Alex and Ani Skating Rink (Providence City Center Rink)
This rink is located right in Kennedy Plaza in Providence, Rhode Island. People and families of all ages visit during the colder months for a fun outdoor ice skating session. Purchasing tickets or rental ice skating equipment is easily accessible. Plus, they also do BUMPER CARS on ice!! Talk about a fun time!
Breakfast with Santa
This is a super fun event filled with tons of Holiday spirit and joy leading up to Christmas. This attraction is located in Portsmouth, RI and runs from December 2nd until the 23rd, but only on Sunday’s. You can experience a unique breakfast on a train and have the opportunity to meet Santa! Lots of fun for everybody and not to mention, the delicious food! Limited space is available so do not miss out on this!!
Christmas Cookie Stroll
Do you love baking? Better yet, do you love baking during the holidays? Visit Wright’s Dairy Farm & Bakery on December 2nd for one of their most beloved events. You can bake your own holiday cookies for purchase by the pound and get behind the scenes in their bakery. They fill the event with holiday music, hot chocolate and much more. If you’ve never been to Wrights Farm, then this is the best excuse to get you through the door. We know you’ll go back!
Pawtucket Winter Wonderland
This 2018 festivity is located in Slater Park in Pawtucket, RI. There is a holiday village and a big tree display for all who visit. Not the mention the endless events, activities and even tours. This is seriously a winter wonderland. If you’re looking for something local to do while enjoying all of the scenery, lights and displays of the holidays then you have got to put this down on your list!
A Christmas Carol https://www.trinityrep.com/ Simply put - A CLASSIC! If you haven’t seen it already, this is an absolute must. A Christmas Carol is a long time tradition that was first produced by Charles Dickens. People name is theatrical magic and it’s right in the heart of Providence. This production is overseen by Mark Valdez and there are tons of new castings, designs and performances to view. Check out their website for more information and all of the dates they have arranged for the performance.
If you’re looking for eyewear or have any concerns with this upcoming cold weather regarding your eye-care, please contact us at OPTX rhode island at (401)-521-6789. You can also contact us via our website (www.optxrhodeisland.com) and even our Facebook! Remember, although it’s not hot and sunny out here in New England, you should always be protecting your eyes from harmful rays, indoors and outdoors. Ask us about polarized lenses and our new Blue-Light blocking lenses for your prescription eyewear! Happy Holidays!!!!
We live in an extremely diverse world. We all have different characteristics and traits that make us unique and who we are! One of the most prominent features is of course our face. Our face tells a story and can be a link to our culture, heritage and much more. We know that two people are rarely ever the exact same person, especially physically (unless you are born a twin, triplet, etc, LOL). At OPTX rhode island, our team of devoted opticians and frame stylists can help you pick out the right pair for your face shape.
Although there can be about a dozen different shapes of faces, we are going to narrow down to the top six. These face shapes include: Square, Oval, Diamond, Oblong, Heart and Circle. Since we all have unique faces, finding eyewear that suits us is extremely important in terms of fit, comfort and even style. Although your BFF might have a pair of glasses you simply adore, you may notice they look different when you try them on. We’ve all heard the saying, “What looks good on someone else may not always look that good on you.” The same goes for non-prescription/prescription eyewear. It can be tough in today’s world to find the perfect pair of glasses as there are countless styles and varieties. We are going to put together a small, easy to understand guide for how to pick eyewear that is best for your face shape.
*A quick and easy way to figure out what shape you have is to outline your face in a mirror with a lip pencil or lipstick. Then, step away and take a look at what you see. Some of you may be surprised that your face shape isn’t actually what you had thought it was!*
Square face: If you find you have a square shaped face, then boxy and square glasses may not be best for you. We suggest finding a pair that has rounded angles that slightly wing out on the edges forming almost a “semi” cat-eye shape. This will accentuate your features best. This rule of thumb can also be applied for rectangular faces.
Oval face: Oval faces may be more “free to play” when it comes to eyewear. If you find you have an oval face, the only eyewear you should really stay away from when trying to accentuate your features or find a right fit are glasses that are Too round and Too oval shaped. With an oval face, you definitely want to make sure you pay attention to size because you can easily purchase a frame that is too small or too large.
Diamond face: Diamond shaped faces look best in top-heavy frames due to the fact that the cheekbones are more pronounced with this shape of face. Semi rimless frames may look nice, as do many cat eye styles. The key here is definitely size, as you don’t want to get a frame that is too small in terms of width and one that will not hit your cheekbones or rest on them.
Oblong face: Oblong faces are similar to oval, meaning that you can pull off almost any style granted that you have the right size for your face. People with oblong faces are usually able to pull off round styles better than square styles, but that also goes along with one’s taste regarding eyewear.
Heart face: Heart shaped faces look amazing in modified wayfarer styles, certain cat-eye frames and even round frames. You also may find that you are able to wear oversized frames more comfortably than others.
Circle face: Circle and round faces wear square and rectangular glasses very well. When it comes to round faces, think of this - opposites attract. So if your face shape is round or circle, then square looks best. Same goes for square/rectangular faces - opposites also attract, so choose frames that are round!
This guide does not mean that you cannot purchase or wear other styles comfortably that might not fit best on your specific face shape. Many people purchase decorative or fun eyewear that does not necessarily “fit” their face, and that is perfectly OKAY!
The goal here is to be comfortable in your eyewear and get the most out of your prescription or the style you’ve chosen.
Many people are unhappy with their glasses or find them annoying due to the fact they may not have been styled or sized correctly.
Visit us at OPTX rhode island and browse through our showroom. One of our opticians or frame stylists will be happy to show you some recommendations or help you find the perfect pair of glasses, whether they are for prescription eyewear or simply sunglasses!
Call us at 401-521-6789, visit us in person at
1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston, RI
or check out our web site www.OPTXrhodeisland.com !
Beaches in Rhode Island are among some of the most highly rated in New England. For those of us that live in this little state, we are truly lucky that we have over 400 miles of gorgeous coastline along nearly every city and town. Visitors truly enjoy our beach and waterfront areas and some of the best seafood in New England too.
1. Narragansett Town Beach: With plenty of lifeguards on duty, tons of food nearby and beautiful sand, Narragansett town beach is a hit amongst many Rhode Islander’s and nearby states. Some even choose to surf or paddle board nearby. It is one of the most popular beaches in our hometown state. Enjoy a beautiful walk during the sunset on the sea wall, then eat a beautiful dinner at the Coast Guard House and you’ve got yourself a perfect day.
2. Scarborough State Beach: Scarborough (in Narragansett) is a public area in which you can find many beach goers flocking to during warmer months and summer seasons. Just a little ways down from Narragansett town beach, this too is a place where you can soak up the sunshine and enjoy Rhode Island’s beach life. They also have a newly renovated pavillion and expanded beach! 👍
3. Roger Wheeler State Beach (Southern Narragansett): This beach offers easy access to the Block Island ferry with just a short walk away! This beach also offers lifeguards, showers, concession stands and food nearby. Many people enjoy this beach as it may not get as busy as some of the others, especially when accompanied with children .This boasts a great setting for families with a playground and picnic tables as well. You are also minutes away from the famous George’s of Galilee restaurant.
4. East Matunuck State Beach: This beach located in South Kingstown and also close to the Block Island ferry. Many people say this beach has clean sand and clean water, also becoming a popular destination for those with families. Not only can you easily access the ferry, but many visitors claim they have gorgeous, clear views of Block Island from the beach itself! Hop on a charter near the town and enjoy a fun experience!
5. Misquamicut State Beach: Another mega popular beach in Rhode Island is without a doubt Misquamicut. Paddy’s Beach Club makes this beach a hit and go-to location for party goers and those looking for a fun drink or meal right by the waves. Popular DJ’s host parties here often, especially during peak season from June to August. Celebrities such as Ruby Rose, DJ Pauly D and more have performed there. Clean sand, public facilities and a nice pavillion are the cherry on top.
6. Sachuest Beach (also known as Second Beach): Often voted in some of the top beaches in Rhode Island, Second Beach includes gorgeous scenery and clean, soft sand. Visitors love the fact that along this big beach you can see some of the beautiful homes and adjacent to the beach is a Wildlife Refuge with almost three miles of trails! Surfers usually have their own section of the beach so that makes it a hit among sports enthusiasts. Easton’s Beach is nearby and also a hit among tourists.
Keep in mind that peak season makes parking difficult and probably more pricey. Most state beaches also charge upon entrance and kindly ask you to pick up trash after yourself to keep our beautiful state beaches as clean as possible. Smoking is prohibited as well, so if you have young children that is always a plus. The earlier you arrive during the summer, the better and cheaper parking you will find, as well as the best spot on the beach to spend your fun-filled day!
😎 As always, OPTX Rhode Island always suggests you protect your eyes when the sun’s rays are highest and most dangerous. Polarized sunglasses are best for beach days as the sun’s glare is almost completely reduced and you can even view your scenery through more vivid colors and higher clarity. Protect your eyes this season with a new pair of sunglasses from our showroom. Check out our coupons and deals on our website (listed below). We specialize and style in Maui Jim’s, Ray-Ban’s, Oakley’s and other brands that carry high quality Polarized lenses.😎
---> Visit us at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston R.I 02919 during our business hours.
---> Call us at (401)-521-6789
---> Web: www.optxrhodeisland.com
Looking for the best place to get ice cream in Rhode Island this summer? Look no further! Although the options are really endless in this wonderful little state, here are just a few of our top picks! These won’t disappoint:
1. Awful Awful’s from Newport Creamery: Possibly a staple for many of us Rhode Islander’s! We really love our local Newport Creamery’s and we all love their Awful Awful shakes. The variety of flavors and combinations to choose from make this a favorite amongst many who are familiar with the eatery. They also serve food and other types of fun desserts at all of their locations!
2. Gray’s in Tiverton: Gray’s is known for their homemade ice creams and frozen yogurts. This is a fun outdoor place to go to get a yummy and genuine dessert. Picnic area for sitting outside creates a cute and cozy atmosphere after a long and hot summer day.
3. Sundaes in Cranston: This is a very well known outdoor ice cream shop in a convenient Cranston location! Just off of Oaklawn Avenue, you can find this precious sundae shop. Come summer-time, the lot is filled with lots of people looking for their sweet-tooth fix. There are tons that you can order here and their reviews speak for themselves!
4. Mr. Lemon in Providence: Serving up summer just right with their icy cold and delicious frozen lemonades! This is also considered a staple for many in the area (located on Hawkin’s Street) and even to those who are not nearby! The small, quaint and cute place has some of the best lemonade around the state and worth the trip into Providence! Not to mention all the traditional ice cream favorites! The large lemon graphic in the side of their building is “Instagram- worthy!”
5. Gelina’s in Coventry: Gelina’s has been open for more than forty years, serving up some yummy ice cream, shakes and more! Families find it a necessary place to be for outings and to get everyone together for a sweet treat. Many who visit Gelina’s have been going since they themselves have been kids! Don’t miss this spot right on Tiogue Avenue!
6. Papa’s Ice Cream in Warwick: Located off of West Shore Road, nearby the buttonwoods community, Papa’s is a very popular, well-known and highly rated ice cream shop in Warwick. Their “old school counter” theme serves seating indoors and outdoors and they often times also sell delicious cupcakes! Stop in when it’s rainy, or hot for the perfect afternoon!
Enjoy some amazing ice cream at one or all of these great Rhode Island spots! If you need to take your “cool” quotient (yes, pun intended) to the next level, don’t forget to wear your shades while indulging in strawberry, chocolate, pistachio or cookie dough! If you need some new sunglasses we can take care of that!
Come visit our showroom today! OPTX Rhode Island is located at 1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston RI.
We would be happy to style you and create your perfect summer look in Ray Bans, Maui Jim, Chanel, Dior and many other designers and brands!
Be sure to check our web site for coupons and discounts : www.OPTXrhodeisland.com
Or give us a call at (401) 521-6789
5 Important Thing You Should Know About Blue Light.
1. What is blue light? → Without getting too scientific, light is composed of electromagnetic particles moving in waves. The waves are represented by different colors. Wavelengths are grouped into different categories including X-rays, infrared light, visible light, and UV rays. When combined all of these comprise the electromagnetic spectrum. Human eyes have sensitivity to one part of this spectrum, the part which is seen as colors or also known as visible light. Blue light produces energy that is higher than some of the other sources. Over time, medical professionals believe this could cause long term damage to your eyes.
2. Sources of blue light → One of the main ways we are exposed to blue light is through natural sunlight. There are many other artificial sources of blue light that we use on a daily basis. These sources can include: cellphone/tablet screens, digital devices, laptop and desktop computers, and video games just to name a few. The amount of blue light you are exposed to depends on how many of these devices you use and how often you use them. For most of us, this is probably far too much. Energy efficient technology increases your exposure to this blue light as well. Many stores and offices around the world (also some homes) use energy saving fluorescent light bulbs or LED lights. This can be contributing to the problem of blue light in your near vicinity.
3. More studies should be done to determine “how much blue light is too much blue light”. Most eye care professionals worry that in addition to natural outdoor exposure, added modern exposure from digital devices may increase your risk for over exposure to blue light and potential eye problems. Additionally, it is possible that blue light exposure may increase digital eye strain and macular degeneration risks.
4. How to protect yourself and your eyes from blue light → For those of us who are constantly texting, emailing, or browsing through the internet (whether it’s on a phone screen or other digital screen) a great way to reduce exposure to blue light is by using a blue light filter. Many lenses can be ordered through your local eyeglass retailer which have an anti-reflective coating which can also be glare reducing and block some blue light. Photochromic lenses are another way to help protect your eyes, in which the lenses darken outdoors and lighten indoors.
Blue blocker lenses are quickly gaining popularity. The polymer absorbs the blue light keeping much of it from passing through the lenses to your eyes. Specially tinted “yellow hue” computer glasses are also another leader in the field for protecting against blue light. Some wearers find the yellow tint to be inconvenient due to your surroundings having a yellow appearance, but most users don’t mind in exchange for the protection the lenses offer against blue light.
If you have questions about blue light feel free to contact our eyewear and eye care professionals at OPTX Rhode Island. We are available to help you explore options to protect your eyes from blue light with many lens options for your prescription or non-prescription glasses. We can be reached at 401-521-6789 or stop in at our showroom located at 1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston, RI 02919. You can also visit our website at: www.OPTXrhodeisland.com.
Polarized sunglasses are a great way to protect your eyes while simply seeing better, crisper images through your eyewear.
1. Polarized lenses are made using a special and unique filter on lenses which creates horizontal openings for light. Only certain light rays that come in contact with your eyes horizontally can fit through those specific openings. Polarized lenses will block out the vertical light waves bouncing off of objects or scenery around you, especially areas of water and other cars passing by you on a sunny day.
2. Polarized sunglasses work because light will only travel through one direction in polarized sunnies, which in turn reduces and eliminates glare. Thus, maintaining and extending your overall eye health.
3. The images you see through a polarized pair of glasses or lenses can be a bit darker than your typical non-polarized sunglasses, but objects and details are also easier to see due to the clarity and crispness of the image through the treated lenses.
4. People who use polarized sunglasses in longer stretches of time claim they become less tired and don’t suffer from as many headaches, as compared to those who are constantly exposed to glares. They may even be a good option for you if you exposed through lots of sunlight from windows around you.
5. The biggest complaints people report with polarized sunglasses is seeing distorted images when looking at an LCD screen such as a cell phone, computer screen or the digital screens and on the dashboard within your car.
6. Blinding sun glare has been known to cause accidents, sometimes snow blindness and can even sunburn your eyes! Long term exposure to the sun’s glare is also linked to causing cataracts.
7. We love Ray Ban polarized glasses, as well as Oakley and Maui Jim, just to name a few! These are some of the most popular polarized glasses out on the market right now.
8. Be careful not to mistake UV protected sunglasses with polarized sunglasses! Just because a set of lenses may be darker than polarized lenses does not mean they offer the same protection for your eyes.
9. Dark sunglasses without any UV protection can actually damage your eyes more than not wearing sunglasses. Darker tints and treatments on lenses can cause our pupils to dilate. When they dilate behind lenses of no UV protection, you actually let more UV rays into your eye.
10. A great rule of thumb to go by: Polarized is best, UV protected is good, but no treatment on your lenses at all can cause damage beyond repair.
Polarized sunglasses are an awesome addition to your wardrobe, especially when you are fishing, driving, or simply want sunglasses for UV and eye protection. Next time you visit your local eyewear store, be sure to consider purchasing polarized glasses!
Feel free to contact us with any questions or if you are looking a great gift for your lover! Chanel sunglasses? Oakley sunglasses? Maybe a sweet pair of RayBan sunglasses? We can assist with the perfect style and color as a fashionable surprise! Visit our showroom anytime at 1277 Hartford Avenue in Johnston, RI or call us at (401) 521-6789 and our web site www.OPTXrhodeisland.com