Providence is the capital city of Rhode Island. Not only is Providence historic and beautiful, but it is one of the oldest cities in our nation! There is so much to see and do so we’ve got you covered with the various activities and sights to see when you find yourself in this city. A melting pot of cultures, food, history and shopping - you are bound to have an awesome time within this city.
1. A fun and eventful place to be in Providence is found right near the Brown University campus. The campus of Brown is a sight to see in itself, as the campus boasts many historical and modern mixes of buildings. You can find many people flocking down to Thayer Street, where you can find some amazing food, shops and bars. This is a fun place to be during the day or the night. Many events are usually going on nearby all year round. Park your car, rent a scooter and spend the day in this area! Providence boasts itself as one of the best cities in America for creatives and quick (or long) visit to Thayer Street will give you a glimpse into the local arts and flows of creativity.
2. Speaking of creativity, the RISD Museum should be on your bucket list when visiting Rhode Island, or if you simply live in Rhode Island and have not had a chance to visit. The museum itself was founded in the late 1800’s and to this day has an immense amount of exhibits and objects. Here you can find “ancient” art and modern art so there is something for everyone here. If you have ever thought about attending Rhode Island School of Design, take a stop or a tour of the museum and you will surely get the answer you are looking for!
3. Water Fires in Providence are a beautiful and engaging place to be. People from all over Rhode Island and neighboring states flock over to be a part of these spectacular nights. The Water Fires begin in May and usually end in November when the colder months make their way towards Rhode Island. There are vendors set up all over in the heart of the city and plenty to see or do. Music is playing all along the rivers and it is definitely a fun and wonderful way to spend a night out in the town. Check out their full schedule on their website.
4. Providence Place Mall is ever evolving and a really great place to be if you find yourself looking for something to do. There are over 150 shops and it is the largest shopping mall/center in Rhode Island. Along with all the shops, you can find a large food court and many gorgeous dining centers on the ground level such as The Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Chang’s and Uno’s. But wait, there’s more! There is also a large IMAX theater on the top floor and a Dave & Buster’s which is a fun, interactive entertainment center for all ages. Surely, you won’t be disappointed with a trip to this mall. Do some shopping, eat some food, play some games and you will leave happy!
5. If you love to watch live shows, concerts or plays then the Providence Performing Arts Center is the place for you. It’s a world class venue with an abundance of shows and performances to see all year round. It is the “second largest theatre of its kind in the country” and it has beautiful architecture that is worth viewing in itself. The interior is simply gorgeous and has had a lot of attention placed on detail and all the intricate design. View all the entertainment available for viewing on their website. Even if you are not one that big into arts or entertainment of this nature, it is worth seeing when you are in Providence. You will be glad you did!
6. The Dunkin’ Donuts Center of Providence is a super large indoor multi-use arena where you can watch various events from concerts, sporting events, family shows and many more. The center stage can be set to accommodate all types of shows from dirt to ice and much more. It’s the staple arena for events in Rhode Island and it was renovated in 2008. Check out their website for a full listing of shows and dates.
7. If you love politics and/or history, touring the Rhode Island State House is definitely for you. The State House is immaculate and constructed of beautiful architecture and materials. You are able to tour the State House and the grounds surrounding it with either a free guided tour or a self-guided tour (by printing out a self-guided brochure). Tours last about an hour and if you have a large group that needs to be accommodated you may be able to make a reservation in advance. Check out their website for times available to tour. Soak in the history and the architecture like never before in Rhode Island!
8. If you’re looking for a place to visit when the sun starts to set and you’re in need of a nice cocktail, we suggest you go to Waterplace. You’re able to get stunning views of Providence while dining and sipping some of the best food around. There are plenty of places to grab a good drink of meal nearby. You can also visit Capital Grill or Jacky’s Galaxie to end off your day in Providence. Neither of these will disappoint! Sip, Drink, Hooray!
9. Take a visit to Rhode Island’s very own “Little Italy”! Among us Rhode Islander’s, it is better known as Federal Hill. You can find some of the highest rated cuisine and restaurants in Rhode Island on Federal Hill, while enjoying a stroll and stopping by some cute boutiques and specialty shops. Many of the foods and ingredients used in these restaurants are actually imported straight from Italy itself. Federal Hill has been named one of the country’s most authentic Italian neighborhoods and you don’t want to miss this when you are in the Providence area! Grub here until you can’t anymore!
10. If you’re looking for a romantic outing, a fun family trip or an excursion with some of your friends, than taking a ride on La Gondola in Providence is the place for you. Experience the breathtaking views of the city while relaxing on the main river of Providence. It’s a beloved experience in Rhode Island and many consider it to be extremely romantic. Some reviews have even said that they forgot they are in Providence, but rather felt like they were somewhere in Europe! Book a ride on one of La Gondola’s and you will never look back.
If you go out on an exquisite day trip in and around Providence, don’t forget your sunglasses to up your “cool factor” and to protect your eyes from damaging sun rays. Call, stop in at our store or visit our website for more information. Our opticians and frame stylists will be happy to help you select just the right style, prescription or non-prescription sunglasses or eyewear! Showroom: 1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston, RI 02919, 401-521-6789, www.OPTXrhodeisland.com
Rhode Island is known for the rolling coastlines and beautiful scenery, especially in the warm and sunny summer months. There is so much to see and so much to do around this small state. Rhode Islanders seem to thrive during the warm months when beaches and waterfront scenery is a weekly tradition for most families. We found some of the best lighthouses to visit in Rhode Island, and we just can’t wait to share them with you! Lighthouses play a major historic role in New England’s extensive history and are oftentimes overlooked or taken for granted. We’ve compiled a short and sweet list of some of our favorite lighthouses to visit or view in Rhode Island. Take a look, go on an adventure and soak in all of the beauty and history behind each of these.
1. Beavertail Lighthouse is located in Jamestown, Rhode Island. This lighthouse is one of the top and premier lighthouses in Rhode Island. It’s 64 feet high and located in Beavertail State Park. This lighthouse contains the gorgeous “beehive” Fresnal lens and it’s important to the state of Rhode Island and it’s fellow boaters. It assures navigation for many entering boats in the Narragansett Bay. You can find tourists and locals flocking nearby to fish, enjoy the sun and rocks, or just walking about.
2. The Rose Island Light is located in Newport, Rhode Island. If you’re looking for a true adventure, this is your spot. This gorgeous and historic lighthouse is preserved, maintained and controlled by a lighthouse foundation. This lighthouse actually sits atop a bastion built in the early 1800’s, and guess what? The only way you can get to it is by boat! You also have the option to spend a night as a guest for a fee, or even a week as a “lighthouse keeper”. Pack your bags and get to Rose Island for an experience of a lifetime.
3. Conimicut Shoal Light is in Warwick, Rhode Island. This lighthouse is also listed on the Register of Historic Places. This lighthouse hasn’t been restored, although there are talks of doing so in the city of Warwick. Based on the fact it is over 100 years old, it is said to still be in good condition and it’s definitely still a sight to see based on its age and historic engineering. This 58-foot lighthouse can be seen from Conimicut Point Park, but many say it’s best viewed by boat. This lighthouse, in particular, was one of the very last in the United States to convert to electricity from the traditional oil vapor!
4. The Watch Hill Light is located in Westerly, Rhode Island. This lighthouse definitely boasts an abundance of stories and beautiful history relating to New England. As one of the oldest in the nation, this light house is considered to be a “nautical beacon” for ships and boats nearby to this day. President Thomas Jefferson was the first to order construction and engineering of this lighthouse, which first stood at only 35 feet tall. Today, the lighthouse is at almost 60 feet tall which was rebuilt due to erosion in the mid 1850’s. Historical photos and historical documents can be viewed at the lighthouse during the summer months. A treasure, a beauty and a sight to be seen.
5. The Southeast Light is located in Block Island, Rhode Island. This lighthouse is drop-dead gorgeous. It is considered to be one of the most sophisticated and most architecturally pleasing in the United States. It is absolutely stunning gothic beauty and worth a trip if you ever find yourself on Block Island. A small museum and gift shop is on the grounds as well, making it an awesome outing. It stands at about 50 feet tall and the future holds potential bed-and-breakfast suites. Check this out, you will not be disappointed!
We hope this information leads you and your family on a wonderful summertime adventure! Be sure to protect your eyes at all times while outdoors, especially by any bodies of water, where the UV rays are far stronger. If you are in need of new sunglasses for your day trip or lighthouse journey, be sure to stop into OPTX Rhode Island. Located at 1277 Hartford Avenue in Johnston, Rhode Island. Reach us by phone at (401)-521-6789 and visit our webpage at www.optxrhodeisland.com for more information.
“See the world like you’ve never seen” - Maui Jim
Maui Jim is one of the world’s best known sunglass brands. Not only can you spot this brand on various celebrities, but you can find it on world renowned athletes and sports enthusiasts.
The company first began when its original owner, Jim Richards, started selling sunglasses in the 1980’s on the beautiful island of Maui in Hawaii. Hence, the name today which still stands, Maui Jim.
It started out as a small company that sold glasses on a beach in Hawaii. They saw a serious need in the market for high-quality lenses that could combat a variety of hazards that the sun can bring upon the eyes and their health. The company that once began with only seven styles has sprung into a greatly successful brand that other companies have looked up to for years. Today, all of the Maui Jim sunglasses for women and for men are polarized, with lenses offering 100% protection from harmful UVA/UVB rays.
Today, Maui Jim’s home office is located in Lahaina, Maui. With the years of experience this company holds, they have made some of the best sunglasses and lenses out in the market. All of their glasses are still tested and even designed in their home office.
The company takes pride in the fact that they get much of their inspiration from the great outdoors and all of mother nature. Especially the sun. Nowadays, not only do their lenses allow you to feel confident that they protect your eyes, but they also allow you to see the world around you with more intense and vibrant colors. Their customer service also has outstanding ratings and one of the best in the industry. Maui Jim stands behind every pair of their glasses.
Their technology is definitely one of the most superior within the marketplace. Certain lense options and styles provide you with unique benefits and options to enhance your experience while wearing the sunglasses. On top of that, their grade of quality makes the lenses scratch resistant and their frames resistant to water and oil damage. This company truly takes big strides to provide protection from various environmental stressors regarding your overall eye health. Be sure to check out their “technology” section on www.mauijim.com for more information.
The best part about this company is that everyone loves Maui Jim glasses! Celebrities have been seen wearing or promoting Maui Jim. Some of these include Barack Obama, The Clooneys, Jennifer Aniston, the notorious Hugh Hefner and more. It doesn’t end there though. More importantly, a large array of athletes and sports enthusiasts all across the globe love this company’s sunglasses. You can find it anywhere. From surfers to fishers, to snowboarding and skiing, golfers, tennis players and many many more, Maui Jim sunglasses are an absolute hit.
Some of the most popular Maui Jim styles include the infamous Maui Jim punchbowl, the Maui Jim black coral, the Maui Jim stingray, the Maui Jim Makaha and many more. Maui Jim aviators are a huge hit and have been for many years, but the Maui Jim sport sunglasses are also why the company continues to thrive around the world. Stingray
Prices for sunglasses range from about $160 to upwards of $500 depending on the style and lens treatments. Prescription eyeglasses are available for order only through licensed retailers. For pricing on prescription eyewear, give our optical team a call at (401)-521-6789 or visit us at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston, RI. We are proud to be an official seller of Maui Jim sunglasses and we always have a large variety in stock at our beautiful showroom. We look forward to seeing you soon to assist with all of your Maui Jim questions and purchases! Aloha!
Oh, Rhode Island… How much we love your cuisine!
Rhode Island gives us all four seasons, beautiful coastlines, gorgeous historic towns, and places. Most of all, Rhode Island gives us some of the best and luxurious dining options one could only dream of for such a small state!
Whether you live in the state or are touring/visiting, finding local delicious food is essential when it comes to enjoying your time somewhere. Rhode Island is known for some of the best seafood spots across New England. There are also some highly rated restaurants serving international cuisine and dishes that will leave you asking yourself, “Where has this restaurant been all my life?”
Matunuck Oyster Bar, South Kingstown/Newport
If you are in Rhode Island, you do NOT want to miss this place. It is well known around the New England area. They have an amazing motto of “Farm to Table” and “Pond to Plate”. Not only will you be immersed in the beauty of this waterfront restaurant, but you also will never be disappointed with the various seafood options. Guests rave about the food quality and freshness in this spot. They also offer “Farm Tours” in which you can have a unique experience and see how shellfish are cultivated in the local waters nearby.
The Dining Room at Castle Hill Inn, Newport
This elegant and beautiful dining experience in Newport is considered to be New England dining at it’s finest. You will not only experience the succulent tastes of all of their dishes, but you’ll be accompanied by an oceanfront view and impeccable service from the staff. Did we forget to mention it is inside an insanely gorgeous historic mansion? The chef’s and team in the kitchen use cooking techniques from across the globe, with many locally sourced ingredients as well. The wine menu has held various awards, as has the dining experience itself!
Spain Restaurant, Cranston and Narragansett
The setting is everything when it comes to fine dining. Spain Restaurant in Cranston (there is also a Spain of Narragansett) captivates the beauty of food with a warm, inviting and eclectic feeling environment. The Mediterranean inspired cuisine holds up to its standards with years of experience in the industry. The menus boast a balancing mix of Spanish food as well as the beloved New England style dining. The food is also being locally sourced, especially the seafood, which they pride themselves on. It has become a classic in Rhode Island, and if you haven’t been there already, we’re sure you’ve probably heard of Spain before!
Capital Grille, Providence
You can find many Capital Grille locations around the major cities in the United States. They all have stunning architecture and elegant dining you will surely not forget. The Capital Grille locations all carry world-class and award-winning wines. If you’re looking for an all-around luxury dining experience, we recommend you come to this sophisticated restaurant. It’s located right in downtown, right off the highway, but valet is always available for your convenience.
Los Andes Restaurant, Providence
If you’re into Peruvian and Bolivian cuisine than this spot is bound to be at the top of your list of favorites. This restaurant is simply gorgeous inside with awesome decor, but that certainly does not beat the Latin flavor you will receive when dining here. The exotic tastes are unbeatable in this area, as is the presentation. The reviews speak for themselves! Customers are in love with this spot. Once you step foot in here, it’s hard to not love it! The food is more than just delightful, it’s wonderful. Next time you’re looking to make a reservation somewhere, be sure to try this place if you haven’t already.
Gracie’s is the epitome of fine dining in terms of the dishes and cuisine they offer. The menu changes seasonally and they harvest and source the freshest ingredients possible. This restaurant has won various awards and certifications and they also received the four-diamond award! This cozy and upscale spot with attention to detail will leave you wanting to come back, that’s for sure! They offer off-site catering and they are a full-service event venue too. Is there anything Gracie’s can’t do or provide?
Mill’s Tavern, Providence
Another beautiful and casually elegant restaurant in the Providence area. This has been a Rhode Island favorite for many years. Its location is in historic College Hill and the fine dining experience here is one of few of this class. The rustic, classy, historic and modern setting all in one isn’t the best of what they have to offer. Alongside the environmental beauty, there are various award-winning menus and wines. Elegant, true and fresh dining will sweep you off your feet in this spot!
Located in the financial district of Providence, Capriccio is fine dining to the max. The service is absolutely amazing and guests always rave about this restaurant. The elegant, sophisticated and historic furnishings paired with the incredible cuisine offered here will make this a trip to remember. Their international menu is one of the most extensive in the New England area! Capriccios is an ideal venue for high-end functions as well.
La Masseria, East Greenwich
Who doesn’t love some authentic Italian cuisine once in a while? Or all the time?! This spot is said to have mixed the countryside of Italy with a Manhattan feel. There is lots of old world charm in this gorgeous restaurant, which makes it so inviting, warm and cozy. The food is not only delicious with some of the best ingredients, but it’s authentic and evokes flavors and aromas that will remind you of Italy. Located conveniently on Main Street in E.G, it is the perfect place to sip some wine and enjoy some food after a stroll or shopping trip.
As the long, beautiful, lazy, sunny days of summer roll in making sure to include one of these delicious spots for lunch or dinner. Dining outside? You’ll need fashionable sunglasses for that! Call us (401) 521-6789 or stop into our beautiful boutique at 1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston, RI to shop great options to both protect your eyes from the sun and to add some glamour to your summer wardrobe! Check out our web site too: www.OPTXrhodeisland.com
Have you ever purchased an item or a good that you thought was truly authentic or designer, only to find out …. you didn’t purchase what you thought you purchased ?!!!!
Not only is it an awful feeling, but you’ve wasted your money and time! Don’t worry, you’re not alone. This happens to so many people on a daily basis, and sometimes you may not even know that an item you’ve purchased is a fake or a knock off.
When it comes to eyewear, it can be quite hard to spot a fake. It’s easy to find Ray Bans, or the hottest and newest Chanel, Versace, Gucci, Oakley, Cartier, Dior, etc. styles online. BUT PLEASE BEWARE!! Many of them are fake if they do not come from a reputable, official retailer or website. You may think you just scored $20.00 Ray Bans off the web, but they more than likely aren’t authentic designer sunglasses.
Fake glasses are not only annoying, but they can also impact your health! A lot of eyewear that is advertised as “designer” but is fake can be made very cheaply, with loose hinges, poor acetate and metals, and most importantly - bad lenses that don’t even end up protecting your eyes! These can cause reactions on skin, glasses falling apart (literally on your face) and eye problems!
We’re here to help though! We’ve spotted so much fake eyewear over the years and we can give you some tell-tale signs on how to spot fakes. You may not be able to tell by an advertised photo online, but sure enough, when you get the product in your hands, you should do a thorough check.
If you suspect you’ve been a victim to purchasing fraud or fake designer eyewear, it’s best to return it or file a notice with the BBB regarding the website or store. Some FINE print might state the eyewear is “inspired by”, which in turn will mean it’s not authentic. Be sure to read return policies, check out the seller, and make sure you get a good look before and after purchasing.
If you have any questions regarding fake designer eyewear, we are here to help! Feel free to stop in and speak to one of our opticians/frame stylists. You can even bring in your eyewear and we can take a look to make sure it’s authentic. It’s best to purchase from retailers or websites where the product is guaranteed, such as OPTX rhode island. We pride ourselves on the relationships we have with various designer eyewear brands and the authenticity of our products. You can also reach us via phone at (401)-521-6789 or visit our website at www.optxrhodeisland.com.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and that means that chocolates, flowers and romance will be all around us!
Rhode Island is filled with wonderful places to go, or to purchase some sweet gifts!
1. Of course, OPTX Rhode Island is always a great place to gift shop for occasions such as Valentine’s Day! Who doesn’t love some new designer eyewear? This Valentine’s Day OPTX also offers a complimentary VIP room experience in which you can shop privately with an optician/frame stylist. Complimentary refreshments, chocolates and flowers are also included in this package. Perfect for a couples night! Maybe you and your loved one will end up with some new matching eyewear? Check out the trendy new styles by Ray Ban, Gucci, Dior, Oakley, Maui Jim and many more.
2. Jewelry is huge when it comes to Valentine’s Day, as most of us know. It’s a timeless piece that people can cherish and enjoy for years to come. Jewelry can be the perfect way to show your feelings, or take the next step - if you catch our drift! ♥ Jewelry doesn’t have to be geared towards just women either, there’s plenty of pieces one can purchase for that special man in your life too! We love the family owned shop Stencel Jewelers in East Greenwich on 40 Main Street, and we’re sure you will too!
3. Namaste …. The gift of yoga! This is a fun gift that couples can even choose to take part in together. Yoga not only boasts many physical benefits, but it’s also amazing for one’s mind and soul! It’s the perfect way to destress, focus on yourself and unwind. Raffa Yoga in Cranston is one of our favorites and they host a variety of classes for all of the yoga lovers out there - new and old.
4. A fun gift that will bring joy just a few months later can include purchasing a gift certificate/ticket to pick your own tulips at our local Tulip Farm. Wicked Tulips Farm in Johnston will be opening in the spring and closing just before summer for the “U-pick” events so make sure you don’t miss out! Tulip season is quite short, so grab your tickets as early as possible. The perfect romantic date set for Spring that you can look forward to. Let the love blossom all year ‘round. ☺
5. Ugh, the gift of FOOD!! Probably one of everybody’s favorite gifts! We have some amazing restaurants here in Rhode Island, so be sure to take advantage of them this Valentine’s Day. Whether you take someone out for dinner, purchase a gift certificate, or have a girls/boys night out, the gift of food always prevails! Be sure to book reservations in advance when dining in. Some of our favorite romance spots to dine in Rhode Island include, Chapel Grille, Spain in Cranston, Siena, and La Masseria!
6. Accessories make a perfect gift because they are staples in everyone’s closet. Flaunt Boutique in is conveniently located in Smithfield, RI and boasts a variety of fun accessories available for purchase right in store. From handbags, to body care, jewelry and much more, this family owned store is the perfect one stop shop for all!
7. And of course, last but not least…. CHOCOLATE! Chocolate makes everyone happy and is a traditional symbol of Valentine’s Day. Not only does chocolate taste good, but it makes you feel good… literally. Many forms of chocolate are actually natural aphrodisiacs. (Woot woot! Lol!) We have some great Rhode Island chocolate shops that are considered now to be landmarks among us. These include places such as Sweenor’s and The Chocolate Delicacy.
So when it comes to shopping or gifting during Valentine’s Day, don’t stress! Sometimes simplicity is all you need, like some flowers or a box of chocolates and a sweet card. It’s not about HOW MUCH you spend, but rather the love behind the gift being given. If you happen to want to give the gift of sunglasses (or prescription eyewear), you’re not only giving a gorgeous gift but protecting your loved ones eyes as well. Be sure to give us a call at (401)-521-6789 if you need an eye exam, or if you’d like to speak to our optical staff.
Check out our gallery and all our new styles at 1277 Hartford Avenue in Johnston, RI. As always, feel free to browse through our website at www.optxrhodeisland.com.
♥ Happy Valentine’s Day!!! ♥
The New Year is a happy, scary, and nostalgic time in the year. During the end of one year, we find ourselves in the midst of all the holiday celebrations and starting to think about what the New Year might bring us. We’re all used to the New Year’s resolutions that we tell ourselves will be a part in our lives, but we also all know that sometimes we don’t always stick to our goals and plans the entire new year.
It may be impossible to stick to every resolution you’ve set for yourself. But, it’s not impossible to try!
We’ve decided to put together a list of potential resolutions that can make YOU happier, which is what it’s all about! Self-love, self-happiness and self-care can go a long way in your journey to attaining important life goals. Some of the simplest resolutions can set the tone for the upcoming year - in a good way!
1. Set fitness goals, and STICK TO THEM! You don’t have to set unrealistic goals, or even fitness aspirations that you know deep down will be hard and stressful to attain. It can simply be taking a walk for 20 minutes after work, going to the gym even once or twice a week, or simply trying a new sport! Group classes are a great way to stay motivated and attain some of the most reasonable fitness goals. That’s not to say you shouldn’t train to be in a fitness or weight lifting competition. If you know you can do it, then like Nike would say, “Just do it!”.
2. Eat Healthier! No one is perfect and we all have our downfalls, especially when it comes to food. People find it really hard to get out of bad eating habits, but one of the only ways you can kick them to the curb is by introducing healthy foods into your diet. As weird as it may sound, the more you introduce healthy foods to your body and mind, the less you will eventually crave junk foods. Especially if you pair healthy eating with some exercise! Foods packed with nutrition that our bodies want will actually boost your moods, mentality and overall appearance too!
3. Adopt an Animal! Animals bring us so much joy, love and most of all - happiness! Stop by a local shelter and adopt an animal that is in need of a home. It’s a decision that will not only change your life, but the life of your new, rescued companion!
4. Save some money! When you begin saving, and you see the numbers go up, you will feel so good about yourself and you can use some of that money to buy something you’ve always wanted, make a thoughtful purchase for someone else, and much more. You won’t feel guilty about buying that expensive pair of shoes, some vintage jewelry, a new handbag, or even a beautiful new pair of sunglasses!
5. Travel!! (Maybe with the money you’ve saved up^!) to a place you have been eyeing for all of those years! Vacations provide us relief from our daily stresses, make for amazing life-time memories, and give us a sense of appreciation for the world! It doesn’t have to be a fancy Caribbean getaway, it can even be to a neighboring state or a short drive away from you.
6. Get into a new hobby. A new hobby can change the way you look at free time and make you more excited to start your day! Especially if you find yourself immersed in a new hobby that truly excites you or brings joy to your life. It can be starting yoga, getting into art, collecting something, crafting, or just about anything! Who knows, maybe it can fuel you to begin your own business or sell a product or design.
7. Start spending your time with the right people! This can truly change one’s life, not just a year. Eliminating toxic people or simply spending more time with family and those you truly love can even set you up to become more motivated. You’ll find yourself enjoying time spent time with people around you far more than you did before!
8. Volunteer and find a way to give back to your local community, or even on a global level. Start a fundraiser, volunteer at a shelter, do something for someone else, besides only yourself (even though you are most important!). Giving up some of your time, or a few pennies here and there can change someone else’s life. And you know what they say, Karma is good to you if you do good in the world!
9. Do yourself and your body a favor by getting more sleep or heading to bed at an earlier hour. This will set you up for a more successful day in the morning, and give you more time to accomplish things prior to officially starting your day! A well rested mind and body can do nothing but good to you! If you do it often enough, it can become one of your best habits for the new year!
10. Enjoy the little things in life! It’s time for you to learn how to stop and smell the roses. Go for a walk by yourself, and appreciate nature around you. Life is too short for us to ponder and stress about things that really will make no major impact(s) in our lives. When you learn how to enjoy the little moments and things in life, you learn how to enjoy life overall. Appreciate everything around you and realize that everything has a purpose here.
For any questions or concerns regarding your eye-care or eye-wear, please contact us via our website at www.optxrhodeisland.com. You can also call us at (401)-521-6789. In the area? - Stop by and visit our team at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston, Rhode Island 02919. Also please find us on Instagram and FaceBook @OPTXeyewear !
Rhode Island may be the smallest state in the United States, but that doesn’t mean we have the smallest spirit when it comes to the holidays! Our little treasure has so much to offer and so much to do! We should all enjoy the little things in life and appreciate those around us
We’ve put together a cute and short guide on things to do within our Little Rhody during the holidays!
Make Your Own Evergreen Wreath at Casey Farm
Located in Saunderstown, RI, the Casey Farm is where history meets modern day farmhouse. Here you can find goods that have been imported straight from England and beautiful, fresh, organic produce. On November 25th they are hosting an event in which you can make your own evergreen wreath! Talk about an awesome way to kick off the festive season which is just around the corner.
Henry’s Tree Farm
If you’re looking for a fun family outing that all will enjoy, then picking or tagging your Christmas tree is just the thing to do! Henry’s tree farm located on Seven Mile Road in Hope, RI Near Cranston has a great assortment of tree varieties and they have many services they offer. Some of the most gorgeous Christmas Trees can be found here.
Christmas in Newport
Christmas in Newport runs every year from December 1st until the last day of the month. Many Rhode Islanders flock to Newport County during the holidays to experience their very own Christmas in Newport celebration. They host concerts, different types of fairs, tree lighting and special tours of the mansions. If you love Newport, you’ll love it even more during the holidays!
Gluten Free New England Holiday Fest
The 2018 Gluten Free Holiday Fest will be hosted at the Crowne Plaza in Warwick on December 16th this year! The holidays can take not just a toll on many financially, but also on our waistlines, LOL! Although many of us indulge, there are many that don’t have the opportunity to eat most of the treats many of us get to enjoy during the holidays. This fest focuses all on gluten-free delicious recipes that can still make your holidays merry and bright. They’ve received awesome feedback in the past and we’re sure the food is super tasty!
Alex and Ani Skating Rink (Providence City Center Rink)
This rink is located right in Kennedy Plaza in Providence, Rhode Island. People and families of all ages visit during the colder months for a fun outdoor ice skating session. Purchasing tickets or rental ice skating equipment is easily accessible. Plus, they also do BUMPER CARS on ice!! Talk about a fun time!
Breakfast with Santa
This is a super fun event filled with tons of Holiday spirit and joy leading up to Christmas. This attraction is located in Portsmouth, RI and runs from December 2nd until the 23rd, but only on Sunday’s. You can experience a unique breakfast on a train and have the opportunity to meet Santa! Lots of fun for everybody and not to mention, the delicious food! Limited space is available so do not miss out on this!!
Christmas Cookie Stroll
Do you love baking? Better yet, do you love baking during the holidays? Visit Wright’s Dairy Farm & Bakery on December 2nd for one of their most beloved events. You can bake your own holiday cookies for purchase by the pound and get behind the scenes in their bakery. They fill the event with holiday music, hot chocolate and much more. If you’ve never been to Wrights Farm, then this is the best excuse to get you through the door. We know you’ll go back!
Pawtucket Winter Wonderland
This 2018 festivity is located in Slater Park in Pawtucket, RI. There is a holiday village and a big tree display for all who visit. Not the mention the endless events, activities and even tours. This is seriously a winter wonderland. If you’re looking for something local to do while enjoying all of the scenery, lights and displays of the holidays then you have got to put this down on your list!
A Christmas Carol https://www.trinityrep.com/ Simply put - A CLASSIC! If you haven’t seen it already, this is an absolute must. A Christmas Carol is a long time tradition that was first produced by Charles Dickens. People name is theatrical magic and it’s right in the heart of Providence. This production is overseen by Mark Valdez and there are tons of new castings, designs and performances to view. Check out their website for more information and all of the dates they have arranged for the performance.
If you’re looking for eyewear or have any concerns with this upcoming cold weather regarding your eye-care, please contact us at OPTX rhode island at (401)-521-6789. You can also contact us via our website (www.optxrhodeisland.com) and even our Facebook! Remember, although it’s not hot and sunny out here in New England, you should always be protecting your eyes from harmful rays, indoors and outdoors. Ask us about polarized lenses and our new Blue-Light blocking lenses for your prescription eyewear! Happy Holidays!!!!
We live in an extremely diverse world. We all have different characteristics and traits that make us unique and who we are! One of the most prominent features is of course our face. Our face tells a story and can be a link to our culture, heritage and much more. We know that two people are rarely ever the exact same person, especially physically (unless you are born a twin, triplet, etc, LOL). At OPTX rhode island, our team of devoted opticians and frame stylists can help you pick out the right pair for your face shape.
Although there can be about a dozen different shapes of faces, we are going to narrow down to the top six. These face shapes include: Square, Oval, Diamond, Oblong, Heart and Circle. Since we all have unique faces, finding eyewear that suits us is extremely important in terms of fit, comfort and even style. Although your BFF might have a pair of glasses you simply adore, you may notice they look different when you try them on. We’ve all heard the saying, “What looks good on someone else may not always look that good on you.” The same goes for non-prescription/prescription eyewear. It can be tough in today’s world to find the perfect pair of glasses as there are countless styles and varieties. We are going to put together a small, easy to understand guide for how to pick eyewear that is best for your face shape.
*A quick and easy way to figure out what shape you have is to outline your face in a mirror with a lip pencil or lipstick. Then, step away and take a look at what you see. Some of you may be surprised that your face shape isn’t actually what you had thought it was!*
Square face: If you find you have a square shaped face, then boxy and square glasses may not be best for you. We suggest finding a pair that has rounded angles that slightly wing out on the edges forming almost a “semi” cat-eye shape. This will accentuate your features best. This rule of thumb can also be applied for rectangular faces.
Oval face: Oval faces may be more “free to play” when it comes to eyewear. If you find you have an oval face, the only eyewear you should really stay away from when trying to accentuate your features or find a right fit are glasses that are Too round and Too oval shaped. With an oval face, you definitely want to make sure you pay attention to size because you can easily purchase a frame that is too small or too large.
Diamond face: Diamond shaped faces look best in top-heavy frames due to the fact that the cheekbones are more pronounced with this shape of face. Semi rimless frames may look nice, as do many cat eye styles. The key here is definitely size, as you don’t want to get a frame that is too small in terms of width and one that will not hit your cheekbones or rest on them.
Oblong face: Oblong faces are similar to oval, meaning that you can pull off almost any style granted that you have the right size for your face. People with oblong faces are usually able to pull off round styles better than square styles, but that also goes along with one’s taste regarding eyewear.
Heart face: Heart shaped faces look amazing in modified wayfarer styles, certain cat-eye frames and even round frames. You also may find that you are able to wear oversized frames more comfortably than others.
Circle face: Circle and round faces wear square and rectangular glasses very well. When it comes to round faces, think of this - opposites attract. So if your face shape is round or circle, then square looks best. Same goes for square/rectangular faces - opposites also attract, so choose frames that are round!
This guide does not mean that you cannot purchase or wear other styles comfortably that might not fit best on your specific face shape. Many people purchase decorative or fun eyewear that does not necessarily “fit” their face, and that is perfectly OKAY!
The goal here is to be comfortable in your eyewear and get the most out of your prescription or the style you’ve chosen.
Many people are unhappy with their glasses or find them annoying due to the fact they may not have been styled or sized correctly.
Visit us at OPTX rhode island and browse through our showroom. One of our opticians or frame stylists will be happy to show you some recommendations or help you find the perfect pair of glasses, whether they are for prescription eyewear or simply sunglasses!
Call us at 401-521-6789, visit us in person at
1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston, RI
or check out our web site www.OPTXrhodeisland.com !
Beaches in Rhode Island are among some of the most highly rated in New England. For those of us that live in this little state, we are truly lucky that we have over 400 miles of gorgeous coastline along nearly every city and town. Visitors truly enjoy our beach and waterfront areas and some of the best seafood in New England too.
1. Narragansett Town Beach: With plenty of lifeguards on duty, tons of food nearby and beautiful sand, Narragansett town beach is a hit amongst many Rhode Islander’s and nearby states. Some even choose to surf or paddle board nearby. It is one of the most popular beaches in our hometown state. Enjoy a beautiful walk during the sunset on the sea wall, then eat a beautiful dinner at the Coast Guard House and you’ve got yourself a perfect day.
2. Scarborough State Beach: Scarborough (in Narragansett) is a public area in which you can find many beach goers flocking to during warmer months and summer seasons. Just a little ways down from Narragansett town beach, this too is a place where you can soak up the sunshine and enjoy Rhode Island’s beach life. They also have a newly renovated pavillion and expanded beach! 👍
3. Roger Wheeler State Beach (Southern Narragansett): This beach offers easy access to the Block Island ferry with just a short walk away! This beach also offers lifeguards, showers, concession stands and food nearby. Many people enjoy this beach as it may not get as busy as some of the others, especially when accompanied with children .This boasts a great setting for families with a playground and picnic tables as well. You are also minutes away from the famous George’s of Galilee restaurant.
4. East Matunuck State Beach: This beach located in South Kingstown and also close to the Block Island ferry. Many people say this beach has clean sand and clean water, also becoming a popular destination for those with families. Not only can you easily access the ferry, but many visitors claim they have gorgeous, clear views of Block Island from the beach itself! Hop on a charter near the town and enjoy a fun experience!
5. Misquamicut State Beach: Another mega popular beach in Rhode Island is without a doubt Misquamicut. Paddy’s Beach Club makes this beach a hit and go-to location for party goers and those looking for a fun drink or meal right by the waves. Popular DJ’s host parties here often, especially during peak season from June to August. Celebrities such as Ruby Rose, DJ Pauly D and more have performed there. Clean sand, public facilities and a nice pavillion are the cherry on top.
6. Sachuest Beach (also known as Second Beach): Often voted in some of the top beaches in Rhode Island, Second Beach includes gorgeous scenery and clean, soft sand. Visitors love the fact that along this big beach you can see some of the beautiful homes and adjacent to the beach is a Wildlife Refuge with almost three miles of trails! Surfers usually have their own section of the beach so that makes it a hit among sports enthusiasts. Easton’s Beach is nearby and also a hit among tourists.
Keep in mind that peak season makes parking difficult and probably more pricey. Most state beaches also charge upon entrance and kindly ask you to pick up trash after yourself to keep our beautiful state beaches as clean as possible. Smoking is prohibited as well, so if you have young children that is always a plus. The earlier you arrive during the summer, the better and cheaper parking you will find, as well as the best spot on the beach to spend your fun-filled day!
😎 As always, OPTX Rhode Island always suggests you protect your eyes when the sun’s rays are highest and most dangerous. Polarized sunglasses are best for beach days as the sun’s glare is almost completely reduced and you can even view your scenery through more vivid colors and higher clarity. Protect your eyes this season with a new pair of sunglasses from our showroom. Check out our coupons and deals on our website (listed below). We specialize and style in Maui Jim’s, Ray-Ban’s, Oakley’s and other brands that carry high quality Polarized lenses.😎
---> Visit us at 1277 Hartford Avenue, Johnston R.I 02919 during our business hours.
---> Call us at (401)-521-6789
---> Web: www.optxrhodeisland.com