Providence is the capital city of Rhode Island. Not only is Providence historic and beautiful, but it is one of the oldest cities in our nation! There is so much to see and do so we’ve got you covered with the various activities and sights to see when you find yourself in this city. A melting pot of cultures, food, history and shopping - you are bound to have an awesome time within this city.
1. A fun and eventful place to be in Providence is found right near the Brown University campus. The campus of Brown is a sight to see in itself, as the campus boasts many historical and modern mixes of buildings. You can find many people flocking down to Thayer Street, where you can find some amazing food, shops and bars. This is a fun place to be during the day or the night. Many events are usually going on nearby all year round. Park your car, rent a scooter and spend the day in this area! Providence boasts itself as one of the best cities in America for creatives and quick (or long) visit to Thayer Street will give you a glimpse into the local arts and flows of creativity.
2. Speaking of creativity, the RISD Museum should be on your bucket list when visiting Rhode Island, or if you simply live in Rhode Island and have not had a chance to visit. The museum itself was founded in the late 1800’s and to this day has an immense amount of exhibits and objects. Here you can find “ancient” art and modern art so there is something for everyone here. If you have ever thought about attending Rhode Island School of Design, take a stop or a tour of the museum and you will surely get the answer you are looking for!
3. Water Fires in Providence are a beautiful and engaging place to be. People from all over Rhode Island and neighboring states flock over to be a part of these spectacular nights. The Water Fires begin in May and usually end in November when the colder months make their way towards Rhode Island. There are vendors set up all over in the heart of the city and plenty to see or do. Music is playing all along the rivers and it is definitely a fun and wonderful way to spend a night out in the town. Check out their full schedule on their website.
4. Providence Place Mall is ever evolving and a really great place to be if you find yourself looking for something to do. There are over 150 shops and it is the largest shopping mall/center in Rhode Island. Along with all the shops, you can find a large food court and many gorgeous dining centers on the ground level such as The Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Chang’s and Uno’s. But wait, there’s more! There is also a large IMAX theater on the top floor and a Dave & Buster’s which is a fun, interactive entertainment center for all ages. Surely, you won’t be disappointed with a trip to this mall. Do some shopping, eat some food, play some games and you will leave happy!
5. If you love to watch live shows, concerts or plays then the Providence Performing Arts Center is the place for you. It’s a world class venue with an abundance of shows and performances to see all year round. It is the “second largest theatre of its kind in the country” and it has beautiful architecture that is worth viewing in itself. The interior is simply gorgeous and has had a lot of attention placed on detail and all the intricate design. View all the entertainment available for viewing on their website. Even if you are not one that big into arts or entertainment of this nature, it is worth seeing when you are in Providence. You will be glad you did!
6. The Dunkin’ Donuts Center of Providence is a super large indoor multi-use arena where you can watch various events from concerts, sporting events, family shows and many more. The center stage can be set to accommodate all types of shows from dirt to ice and much more. It’s the staple arena for events in Rhode Island and it was renovated in 2008. Check out their website for a full listing of shows and dates.
7. If you love politics and/or history, touring the Rhode Island State House is definitely for you. The State House is immaculate and constructed of beautiful architecture and materials. You are able to tour the State House and the grounds surrounding it with either a free guided tour or a self-guided tour (by printing out a self-guided brochure). Tours last about an hour and if you have a large group that needs to be accommodated you may be able to make a reservation in advance. Check out their website for times available to tour. Soak in the history and the architecture like never before in Rhode Island!
8. If you’re looking for a place to visit when the sun starts to set and you’re in need of a nice cocktail, we suggest you go to Waterplace. You’re able to get stunning views of Providence while dining and sipping some of the best food around. There are plenty of places to grab a good drink of meal nearby. You can also visit Capital Grill or Jacky’s Galaxie to end off your day in Providence. Neither of these will disappoint! Sip, Drink, Hooray!
9. Take a visit to Rhode Island’s very own “Little Italy”! Among us Rhode Islander’s, it is better known as Federal Hill. You can find some of the highest rated cuisine and restaurants in Rhode Island on Federal Hill, while enjoying a stroll and stopping by some cute boutiques and specialty shops. Many of the foods and ingredients used in these restaurants are actually imported straight from Italy itself. Federal Hill has been named one of the country’s most authentic Italian neighborhoods and you don’t want to miss this when you are in the Providence area! Grub here until you can’t anymore!
10. If you’re looking for a romantic outing, a fun family trip or an excursion with some of your friends, than taking a ride on La Gondola in Providence is the place for you. Experience the breathtaking views of the city while relaxing on the main river of Providence. It’s a beloved experience in Rhode Island and many consider it to be extremely romantic. Some reviews have even said that they forgot they are in Providence, but rather felt like they were somewhere in Europe! Book a ride on one of La Gondola’s and you will never look back.
If you go out on an exquisite day trip in and around Providence, don’t forget your sunglasses to up your “cool factor” and to protect your eyes from damaging sun rays. Call, stop in at our store or visit our website for more information. Our opticians and frame stylists will be happy to help you select just the right style, prescription or non-prescription sunglasses or eyewear! Showroom: 1277 Hartford Ave., Johnston, RI 02919, 401-521-6789, www.OPTXrhodeisland.com
OPTX Rhode Island
1277 Hartford Ave,
Johnston, RI 02919FAX NUMBER(401) 453-3288TELEPHONE(401) 521-6789EMAILTEAMOPTX@OPTXRHODEISLAND.COM